Where Should I Go?

Wouldn’t you think it would be the opposite? As the date draws closer the airline would drop prices to get rid of empty seats. Maybe for last minute business travel this works, but I’m just thinking about a quick weekend getaway and would just as easily do something locally if flights/hotel were cost prohibitive. A few years back we decided to rent a beach house for a week (with two weeks advance notice). I contacted a broker in the town we were looking at and he sent me 3-4 listings. I told him to offer 60% of what my favorite listing was asking. He said, “there is no way they will accept it”. I told him to try it and sure enough they accepted. RE guy was shocked. I wasn’t surprised in the least bit. If an airline seat goes unused, the airline can’t charge double for it the next flight to make up for the loss.

Airlines will often make more seats available for award tickets at the last minute, but you never see prices drop. I think the last minute price-insensitive traveler (business, emergency, etc), while probably not as numerous as the bargain shopper, pays a high enough price to be more important.

Yes (UR and MR), but most don’t realize it!

Hudson Valley a short ride on Amtrack from Newark, with all that the area offers, not to mention the breeze cooled from the north …

Mike, lot less flights and a lot of last minute business travelers that don’t care what they pay. I can’t recall the last flight I was on that wasn’t totally booked. I’m always flying United so can’t say if it is the same for other airlines. Back in the fall of last year when I was noticing the flights were always sold out, I bought UAL stock which is now up about 45%. I figured no matter how badly airlines manage their business, they had to make some bucks if they were filling the planes.

ya, have those too. [cheers.gif]

Check out skiplagged.com for cheap flights. I just came back from Montreal last weekend, and paid $198 by booking Montreal-JFK-Cancun - but skipping out on the JFK-Cancun leg. Exact same flight without the Cancun leg was $400…

This!

Just don’t do that on an airline that you have a lot of miles with…

FYI - This can be a very bad ideas. Airlines are aware of this at the very least your return ticket will be cancelled and not refunded. They can zero out your frequent flyer account and pull any status. Also if there is an issue with a flight they only have to get you to your final destination. You could be rerouted through a different city. Plus you can’t check bags (but that is obvious)

George

Here’s some good advice for you. :wink:

FYI - This can be a very bad ideas. Airlines are aware of this at the very least your return ticket will be cancelled and not refunded. They can zero out your frequent flyer account and pull any status. Also if there is an issue with a flight they only have to get you to your final destination. You could be rerouted through a different city. Plus you can’t check bags (but that is obvious)

You’re right on the frequent flyer aspect, I probably wouldn’t do it with an airline I had any decent amount of points with. But seriously, has anyone ever had a return ticket cancelled and not refunded because they have decided not to fly the second leg of a flight they paid for? I doubt it. Also, I’ve traveled frequently all my life, and have never been rerouted through a different city. I know it’s a small possibility, but it’s highly unlikely. Lastly, who travels with more than hand luggage for a short weekend trip?!

If you decide not to fly the second leg of ticket. Your return will be cancelled it is airline policy.

George

If you decide not to fly the second leg of ticket. Your return will be cancelled it is airline policy.

George

If you book your return flight separately, and have a separate confirmation number for that flight your ticket won’t be cancelled.

under 4 hour drive to the Finger Lakes

If you book 2 one way tickets probably not… but that would most likely eliminate any cost benefits. You can try to work the system all you want as long as you are aware of the consequences. Airlines are not dumb they price flights with revenue in mind. When you try to avoid paying them them what they think the flight is worth they are not overly happy and will react accordingly, should you get caught.

George