When Did California Change, and Who Held Out?

I think that pre-sale, Mayacamas would definitely qualify as one who stuck to their guns. We’ll see about post sale.

Re Pinot Noir, I’m an East Coaster so maybe I just didn’t get any of the good stuff, but Pinot Noir from California that I drank really sucked back then. Say what you will about current California Pinot Noir (as I often do) back then it was never anywhere the quality level of Cabernet or, for that matter, of many other varieties

John,

The numbers I cite are from the California Grape Crush Report. They are indeed brix at harvest, though different people take them at slightly different times (for instance, I usually wait and take sugars 48ish hours after crush so there can be a soak up). That makes specific alcohol conversion figures difficult. But I do think that looking at the brix numbers as a whole, and comparing them to other brix numbers as a whole, is useful.

Adam Lee

Of course, these numbers do not factor in chaptalization. [stirthepothal.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif]

This is phenomenal Information. Thanks to all and particularly Adam.

Adam: what are your thoughts about California rootstocks and their relationship to ripeness and potential alcohol? Do you think this is an issue of weather/global warming, plant biological factors, or more winemaking style and preferences? The casual narrative seems to have always attributed this to the rise of Parker and winemakers whose full-throated styles were deemed popular by him.

Because of these tell-all threads, almost a year has passed, since I was able to pick up good early-1990’s California cabernet sauvignon for $10 per bottle. [swearing.gif] [soap.gif]

I’m not Adam, but I know Roy Piper maintained that, on the newer rootstocks, grapes need to be at higher sugar levels to achieve physiological (flavor) ripeness.

I’ve always been a bit suspicious of that, since what people consider an ideal flavor profile has plainly shifted a lot over the past several decades. It seemed to me that Roy might be attributing to botany what is really a change in human preferences.

Right. I forgot to mention the replanting. I don’t know how to separate that information from everything else as there are too many variables to point to only one. I think a lot of it simply had to do with people jumping into the business and wanting not to lose money. Also 1997 was the last vintage I really paid attention to, not because I didn’t like the wines, but because they were, like Mark mentioned, not going anywhere.

I remember Henry well and always loved the food but never understood the match with big reds. Haven’t seen him for a while and I still get his BYO invites but I’m out of range now.

Everyone says this, but then 98 and 00 were cool, low alcohol vintages and 99 was beautifully balanced. All three quite underrated.

I feel like 2001 forward is the real change, with 1997 just having been a really ripe forward (in many cases imbalanced) vintage.

Maybe what happened is that the critical hype over the bigness of the 97s had arrived in time for winemakers to start seeking out that style in the 2000s?

This is exactly the sort of thing I am wondering about. Corison’s Kronos Vineyard, for example, is entirely on St George rootstock. Wondering how much of the Cali Ripeness is due to replanting on more blowsy rootstock and the replanting that happened after Phylloxera in 90’s.

Some interesting opinions here and there are no wrong answers. For me I saw a real change in STYLE after the huge price increases in the mid 90’s. I think it was Caymus whose wine literally doubled one vintage to another. Around that time I bought the 94 Insignia for $35.00, couple years later it was in the $70’s.

If you are going to raise prices so dramatically I feel that many winemakers wanted to make the wine “worth” the increases. How, bigger wines, higher alcohol, more extraction, more severe barrel regime, more toast and oak flavors etc. It happened faster with many but not all of the cults but also seemed to filter down to many less costly labels. Did it make the wines better, well if you like that style yes. If not then the past 20 - 25 years have been, in general, a disappointment.

Land, grapes and wine are so expensive in Napa these days I think it will be much more difficult to reverse this trend compared to other regions in CA. Its not like someone is going to make a classically styled Napa cab from prime acreage and sell it for 50 bucks.

Tom

Around 1996, producers also began aggressively to select and segment their plots, in order to produce reserve bottlings from what used to be “standard” juice.

That’s interesting Noah, because for me (and my crazy palate when it comes to Napa Cabs), the Kronos wines always tasted bigger than her Napa Cabs (which come from other vineyards, that I assumed weren’t on St. George … but maybe I’m wrong?).

All excellent answers above, many of them technically interesting. I have a different perspective, based on some personal experiences. Comes down to this…

Follow the money.

I went to a Spectator Wine Experience event in NYC in 1996, Had the usual lineup of gangsters and Bordeaux estates. There was one new winery inserted in the lineup, pouring a small production wine few people had ever heard of or tasted. Owner was Jean Phillips, and I think she poured about 1/3 of her total 1994 production at that event. Think release price was something like $60 a bottle (gasp!), pretty pricey in those days when you could get 1990 Petrus all day long at $100. Had an odd label, more like modern art than some grand old pile of bricks in Europe. The wine was plush, velvety, with immediately appealing upfront fruit and a spectacular long finish that tasted like bottled California sunshine. Keep in mind the Bordelaise were flogging 1993 and 1994 vintages at the same time. The contrast was like turning on a halogen floodlight in a room of musty encyclopedias.

Ms Phillips was asked about the unusual name, she replied something like “Why walk on the ground when you can soar?” She got a standing ovation from the crowd.

This for me was the beginning of the gold rush. Helen Turley started the revolution, but not too many people took notice until SE and the other cults smacked us all upside the head with the notion that great cabernet can taste delicious TODAY, not just in a decade or two. Of course what was a good thing became inflated over time, much like (dare I say it?) the '90s notion that a boob job was the ultimate California graduation present. Thank god for the Kardashians, they have finally moved popular culture onto other areas of anatomy.

Was it not perfect that the same state that gave us Sutter’s Mill and the 49ers has given us a modern day equivalent?

Go ahead, flame away for my politically incorrect thoughts… pileon

Ridge was my only example of someone who might not have changed anything, and I specifically meant the Zin-based wines. I do think the ABVs are higher on their Cabernets than they were historically, but the Zin-based stuff might not have changed. I’m not sure.

If the thought was that great Napa Cabs can taste goodbye TODAY, then why are people still trading 1997 Harlan and decade-old SE at auction for ridiculous prices? Shouldn’t these be garage sale wines by now? :wink:

Mayacamas…I’m not familiar with their reds, so I can’t comment from a taste perspective. Do their Cabernets show a significant amount of vegetal character? Their winemaking looks pretty old-school. ABVs look that way too. I’m glad you pointed that out as it seems to be one other very plausible exception.

As for California Pinot Noir from back then, I don’t know about the '70s and '80s too much, but there was some made in the '60s (supposedly Pinot Noir, anyway) that was good enough to still be good now. That’s better than most modern examples can do.

Re GregT’s post above: >>“At this point, if you own land in Napa, and even more if you buy land in Napa, you’re going to make Cab and you’re going to make a style that’s going to sell. It would be pretty stupid to do otherwise because you’ll end up with a garage full of your own wine that you can’t move and you’ll never recoup your investment. So although they could probably do something extraordinary with say, Sangiovese, that’s not going to come from Napa.”<<

I’m not all that knowledgeable about viticulture and have wondered why there’s so much Sauvignon Blanc grown in the Napa area given the land value and relatively lower return compared with Cab Sauv.

Is this just tradition, or related to something to do with crop rotation, or an issue of specific vineyard location? Does anyone plant NEW Sauv Blanc there at this point?

Great response. But there was actually one failed era of over the top wines that dates back to the late 70s or early 80s. During the first Zinfandel craze of that period, high alcohol Zinfandels, esp. from warmer regions like Amador county were really hot (in more ways than one). People were buying Zins at 15, 16 or 17 percent alcohol. The wines fell apart after just a few years and the entire market for Zinfandel just fell apart. The only thing that saved a lot of old Zinfandel vines was the white wine craze and a winery called Sutter Home that decide to make a white (actually blush and sweet) that became the next big craze.

Certainly not as big as wines today, but wasn’t Silver Oak of that era made in a similar style of richness and plushness. I have not had the B.R. Cohn, but remember drinking Silver Oak for the first time at a restaurant in the Napa Valley in 1984.

How about Forman and Stony Hill?