What's your favorite or best GLASS for PINOT NOIR?

Absolutely LOVE the Zalto D’enkart Burgundy glasses. They were $50/glass, but apparently got jacked up more.

http://www.winemonger.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1394

I have not had the pleasure of using this glass, can you comment on the rim thickness?

It’s hard to give you an exact answer, but I’d say it’s fairly thin. At the same time, it’s quite stong. These glasses seem to be a little more narrow at the opening which might increase strength. I honestly can’t recommend these enough. Dishwasher safe and recommended as well.

These are the glasses I have an love them.

Super thin, like Riedel Somm. They are made in a single piece, though, so the bowl doesn’t pop off the stem like is known to happen with the others. I have the white wine glasses too. Love them both. Ya’ll just missed out, as KL blew them out a month ago, or so.

MK

You guys use glasses?

Not enough budget / storage space for lots of glasses, but we use these as everyday glasses for most wines…even whites since my nose is too big for most white wine glasses. Use some Spiegelau bordeax glasses for fine cabs.

Sounds like there are a lot of Riedel fans here so I’ll tread lightly… :slight_smile:

From what I’ve heard Riedel stemware are notorious for easily breaking. I’d go with either Spiegalau or Schott Zwiezel. More the latter. I avoided Riedel’s “own” (Riedel owns Spiegelau as of 2004). I want stemware that are the least break prone. And most would agree that honor would go to SZ glass. Stemware I can use daily.

And I don’t believe in having a specific glass for each varietal. :slight_smile: Maybe 1 bordeaux set for reds, white wine glass for white wines, martini glasses and champagne flutes.

You should look into getting some Libbey if that’s what you’re after.

For those of you with Zalto glass. Burg or not. Do you know the capacities (in oz)? The Zalto website and PDF don’t say. Curious. Are they larger than usual? I think the typical capacity is around 23-24oz for a Burg glass. 21-22oz for a Bordeaux.

World Market sells German mouth blown glasses that copy Riedel designs. I love their Burgundy, Pinot Noir and Bourdeaux glasses. Very thin and very fragile but only around $6 a stem.

Nachtmann Vivendi XXL - made by Riedel. 6 stems for under $40!!!

+1. Very happy w/ these, although I love my Riedel OR pinot glasses more (but $50/pair was insane price).

I received the Schott Zwiesel Burgundy glasses as a gift and I LOVE them. I don’t have the budget for Riedel, but these glasses I have are light and wonderful and not very breakable.

+1 on the Riedel Vinum XL Pinot. Very nice looking glass as well :slight_smile:

Riedel XL Pinot is not bad, but a tad fragile.
I prefer the Schott Zwiesel Forte “Claret” Burgundy glass. They are bigger than the standard forte line.

Aromatics, taste are the same for me out of either glass…I don’t buy into the Riedel marketing. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Another vote for the Riedel Vinum although interesting comment on the Extreme Cab glass. That’s what I like to bring to a big walk-around tasting. I have found that it works well with a wide range of wines including Pinot Noir.

Riedel Burgundy Vinum for most; Riedel Burgundy Sommelier for only a few that can handle the large glass. The latter serves almost as a decanter, it`s so big and surface area exposing

+1 I’m a very BIG fan of the Oregon Pinot Noir glasses (stems, not the flow). I think most Pinot Noir shows better in them. I’ve noticed that young Pinots show best in them right out of the decanter. However, with 5+ hours air I think the GC Somm glass shows the wines better.

I have both glasses, and each gets alot of use. I find the aromatics and palate very different between the two. I prefer the Riedel XL for many red Burgs, all cru-Beaujolais, and most new world Pinots (which I rarely drink, so don’t consider this a firm recommendation). I prefer the Zwiesels for Nebbiolo-based wines (Barolo/Barbaresco, Gattinara, etc), Barberas, traditional red Rioja, and some red Burgs.

These two glasses get more use than any of my others except my go-to dry white wine glasses, and my wife and I often compare a new wine in each glass to determine preference. I can’t say one is more universal or superior, but they both show the wine very differently and my wife and I almost always share the same preference.

We’ll soon be getting some Zalto Denk’Art burgundy stems!