What's your approach to posting TNs here?

I post becauseI read what others write if the wines interest me. Someone has to hold the cali wine flag along w king cab :slight_smile:

I post when something particularly interests me, for better or worse, usually the former. Sometimes I am too lazy. I do often find that I get very few or no comments on my notes. I would like to see more tasting notes here. I find it interesting that Iā€™ve seen several people say thereā€™s no interest here in US wines and thatā€™s why they donā€™t post, when that is obviously not true. There is particular interest in a small number and specific style of producers, but I do see notes and comments on other styles from the US as well from time to time. I wonder if those people feel that way because theyā€™ve posted a few notes with little response. I know that is the experience of many who are posting about Old World wines as well, so itā€™s not just because of the origin of the wine.

I actually got more out of the first note than the second, though neither gave me what I would think is a thorough understanding of how the wine tastes. As has been said, that can be tough to accomplish, so I guess Iā€™d rather see the minimalist approach than the note filled with meaningless fluff (such as that and so many professional tasting notes). At least that way, I donā€™t have to wade through the crap to figure out what the writer is actually telling me.

+1.

And as others have noted, there isnā€™t a lack of TNā€™s on American wines, they just seem focus more on the board favorites than random/unheralded producers or more dreaded commercial/distribution brands.

I occasionally post TNā€™s, but only if the wine is already being discussed or Iā€™m just so taken with one I canā€™t help it. I read CT when looking for a wider spectrum of notes.

Great thread - interesting to see that the two most popular are diametrically opposed, and if more would ā€˜have time or inclinationā€™ to post them, more would be found here. Even more ironic from a personal perspective is that those are the very two I chose newhere

Huh? On the first page alone right now are separate TN threads for:

Drouhin Oregon pinot
Scholium
California dessert wine
Bedrock
California chardonnays
Sonoma cabs
Anderson Valley pinots
Kutch, McDougall
Keating wines

I rarely post any TNā€™s here because they are waaaay too boring. [snort.gif]

I actually cross-post my TNā€™s to WCWN and WLDG, as I find there is not a lot of cross-contamination between those
three boards. I have certain audiences on all three that seem to appreciate the TNā€™s. And it is an easy way to
archive what Iā€™ve tasted. I donā€™t particularly care if thereā€™s little or no replys to any of them. I can observe the
number of views any set of TNā€™s as to gage the interest of fellow members on the respective boards.
And can usually predict fairly accurately on each of the three boards response to any set of TNā€™s.
I post on a Bedrock, a Carlisle, a SQN, an Albanā€¦and thereā€™ll be a lot of views/replys. Post on a
Galleano, a Friulian Tazzalenghe, a TurningLeaf, a Slovenian Zelenā€¦I know thereā€™s going to be only
a few views. Which I can live with. After allā€¦they are ā€œboringā€, long or short!!!
Tom

Agreed - not sure where you are looking, Mike, but American wines are the 2nd most popular here, just below Burgundy. Page two if Wine Talk has another dozen Anerican wine threads, etc. I also drink mostly American wines, btw

We should also take a poll on whether people here want to see more tasting notes or not . . . Iā€™d be happy to cross-post my CT notes, but didnā€™t want to spam up this board with my relatively unsophisticated notes.

The world of wine represents a passion for most of us. One of the most remarkable aspects of this world is one of sharing. It is not only sharing wine, but information about wines and all related subjects. When that is done in a way that can be of help to others, it`s a win/ win.

This is the main reason, I share TNs. It should be safe to say, all TNs are just one person`s opinion and everyone has a different palate and thus a different opinion about a wine not to mention so many variables that can effect the same wine from one person to another.

The other main reason I share TNs is to put into words what my 5 senses are perceiving. I find this very challenging and appreciate those who are very eloquent in expressing what their experience in the glass is about.

Finally, I encourage all who are inclined to so so, to post more TNs.

Iā€™d like to see more notes from more posters. And more discussions/comments on those posts. But sometimes we are ā€œtimeā€ challenged. But I say why not post here. Now it looks like the CT Beta (which I think I will need to switch to in a few days) has a comment option on each note. Maybe that is where some of the discussion is happening.

Jason

I used to post a note on virtually every wine I drank somewhere or other. Then I had the injury and lost my sense of smell, so it went to zero. Now that I am really recovering I am back to note writing more and more often, as I think my impressions are back to being useful, rather than purely structural with a stab in the dark at some flavors. Notes get posted on the WLDG (where I am a moderator, and have been active since 1998), with many also here and on CT.

I have always felt that TNs are the lifeblood of a wine forum, and when the TN stream slows my interest in the forum slows.

I am kind of with you here. Especially if there are discussions on the TNs like we used to see at the other place. And glad you are feeling better and posting notes!

Jason

So your telling me that one varietal, Burgundy,is posted on more often than all American varietals together.I think you kind of made my point didnā€™t you?Iā€™m not trying to start a war,the question was asked and I answered honestly.

[popcorn.gif]

Somehow, I attribute a ā€œhigherā€ standard to notes on this forum. I post more frequently on WLDG where I have met many of the members at offlines (MOā€™COOL near Ann Arbor, MI, NYC, DC, Sonoma County or Raleigh). Sometimes I feel I can capture the strengths of a wine in words and other times I am somewhat at a loss to describe the aromas and/or flavors and withhold posting. When I post on WB, it is usually a wine about which I have strong feelings, mostly positive feelings, or about a wine that I want to bring to peopleā€™s attention.

Please do cross-post here! Itā€™s not SPAM ā€” the main purpose of this board is to discuss wine(!), and the posting of TNā€™s is, imo, one of the most natural catalysts for such discussion. [cheers.gif]

I post my TNā€™s here mostly for one reason: to discuss them with anyone who is interested in discussing them. As it so happens (surprise surprise), I read othersā€™ tasting notes for the same reason, and also to learn about the wines.

You forgot an option for:

Iā€™m ITB and every time I mention a wine I really like (and thus bought some to sell) people accuse me of a conflict of interest.

I mentioned that one Roberto and I can see it going either way - some vendors buy only what they believe in and would drink at home, but I think with rare exceptions, those guys eventually go out of business. Other vendors buy what they think or what they know their customers may value, regardless of their own opinions. Personally I donā€™t mind either approach and donā€™t care if youā€™re shilling something if you can describe it in an enjoyable and interesting way.

Brian - youā€™re right and a TN can be a take off point for discussion but hereā€™s a question - can one discuss wine w/out posting TNs? I suppose in a sense they have to come up in any discussion that is, after all, about something we taste.

Personally however, Iā€™m more apt to read posts that concern issues other than TNs and simply assume that posting my own TNs would just contribute to the noise.

This is an interesting thread however. There seems to be a majority opinion that people want more notes. And there seems to be some genuine interest. Iā€™d be curious to know about that - what is someoneā€™s main purpose in reading notes - i.e., entertainment, checking on your own opinion vs someone elseā€™s, seeing what people think about current drinkability, etc.? In other words, is it for discussion or curiosity only or to actually act on the information?

heh heh heh, for a nickel, I will!

I was assuming that there was an automated way to get the notes out, if thereā€™s not, wouldnā€™t work. Sad all that is wasted!