What WHISKY (Scotch) are you drinking?

A favorite without breaking the bank:

What’s in the “cabinet” at the moment:

Cragganmore is a favorite of mine. If you consider how long it takes you to finish a bottle, Scotch is pretty cheap compared to wine (same for spirits in general).

-Al

Deanston 30 at the MWA NYC tasting was pretty tremendous and the Royal Salute was quite nice as well as the Highland Park 25… Back to reality, the Tomatin 12 is a solid whiskey and my current everydayer; at $22 it doesn’t break the bank. After attending the Annapolis Christmas boat parade, I enjoyed a few Singleton 12s as they were out of the Macallan 18.

Easy for YOU to say, you’ve had that same glass in your hand for years now (at least your Avatar has)

I have been trying to move through different styles and producers of scotch recently to find out what I really like. I haven’t gotten through too many yet, but I really enjoyed the Highland Park 12yr.

I am working through a Bowmore Islay right now that I am enjoying quite a lot.

You aren’t missing much. Their Gold Label is a tastier bottle at a third the price.

Some tasty stuff here too!

My favorite is Lagavulin 16, but recently it’s a Laphroaig Quarter-Cask.

i’ll give it a go sometime, but my hopes aren’t high. i’m afraid of it being too sweet for my preferences … but wth, i’ll order a finger sometime I’m out.

I do love the scotch. Laphroaig (Peaty), Highland Park, Cragganmore…all in my wheelhouse. When my wife pops some corn I always like a JW Black and club soda with a slice of key lime…a nice combo.

Easy for YOU to say, you’ve had that same glass in your hand for years now (at least your Avatar has)

Well, I think there was beer in the plastic glass when that photo was taken. Although we did have a nice Moldovan pinot that afternoon.

-Al

FWIW my brother in law served me JW Blue a year or two back, and I just was not impressed with it.

ACK!

I just started getting into single malts over this past year. Such a wide range of styles, etc. My favorites so far are:

• Dalmore 1263 King Alexander III (very smooth)
  • Bruichladdich 14 yr. (Italian Collection) (very fruity)
  • Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (fruity/nutty)

I’m looking to add a bottle to this collection if anyone has suggestions - we’re finding we like the smokey style best:

• three bottles listed above
  • Balvenie 17-year (sherry oak cask)
  • BenRiach 15-year speyside
  • Old Malt Cask 16-year (sherry single oak cask)
  • Arran 10-year
  • Macallan 12-year Elegancia
  • Ardbeg 1990
  • Ardmore 1898 Traditional Cask
  • Talisker 175th Anniversary
  • Old Malt Cask 1987 17-year
  • Highland Park 12-year
  • Macallan 18-year

Thanks.

Karen

If you like the smokey/peaty style then the classic one is Lagavulin 16. Laphroaig 10yr is a bit cheaper but not as oily/smooth IMHO. Caol Ila (distillery bottled and not independently bottled) is another good choice.

This discussion of styles reminded me of the wonderful “flavor map” from Dr. Scotch.

DrScotch.com is for sale | HugeDomains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can really get a good idea of what Scotch you should try by finding your “favorite neighborhood” on this chart.

Cary/Frank,

Thanks very much for the info. We both enjoy the Dalmore (which I purchased in the UK recently) - any suggestions on a similar single-malt? This one is incredibly smooth.

Karen

+1. Lagavulin is the end-all-be-all for smoky scotch. I’d recommend the Laphroaig 15 over their 10 – their 10 is a bit harsh, imo. Ardbeg is another nice one for smokiness, as is Talisker (to a lesser extent).

thanks for posting this chart, Frank. I think it’s amazingly accurate – at least w/r/t those that I’ve tasted. If the quadrants are numbered clockwise, starting in the upper left hand corner, my order of preference, from favorite to least favorite to least would be: 2, 1, 3, 4.

For my taste, Ardbeg is completely over the top with smokiness. It’s kind of like sticking your head into a pile of burning leaves. On that chart I posted, the “top left” quadrant gets a little weird and extreme IMHO. Top right is my “home base” – smoky AND rich. Along the same lines – Laphroaig can be distractingly medicinal. Like gargling strong cough syrup while riding behind a big diesel truck… I can enjoy that but it’s pretty strange, the flavors require some effort to enjoy.

Ardbeg and Laphroig are change-of-pace malts for me. I’m a Lagavulin fan, through and through. It’s pretty much my definition of the perfect scotch.

The Laphroaig 10 is too rough for me to enjoy, but the 15yr I do like – although it’s a bit too salty and angular when compared to the Lagavulin. The Ardbeg is yet another step below that, imo.

Whenver I’m at a bar, and I want a scotch, I usually order a Lagavulin or Talisker. After that I might change it up and go for an Aberlour, Cragganmore, HP, or Longmorn (on the rare occasion I see that one).

Oban I do like, but I find it far too oily. Nearly everything in the lower left quadrant is very not my thing.