WHAT Was Your PROUDEST AUCTION TRIUMPH?

Several bottles of the 1875 Isaias W. Hellman Cucamonga Angelica and “Port.” The “Port” is probably Zinfandel. This was before the fire that destroyed most of the remaining bottles in 2005 in Vallejo.

Not icon wines like many in the thread, however I did manage to pick up 17 bottles of Cigiliuti Langhe Nebbiolo 2012 for around $20 AUD each (current vintage retails for $55).

Wine was a baby Barbaresco in every sense of the word, truly outstanding every day drinking.

Hey I remember those griottes!

And I once got 10 bottles of 1978 Margaux (back in the day) for $400; it was late in the day and I think the auctioneer (Michael Davis) was mad at the seller (or he wanted to do me a favor). It was hammered down really fast.

Maureen, reading Tanzer or Meadows would hardly turn someone on to Truchot. He rarely received high praise from reviewers no ?

I snagged bottle of 88 Roumier BM VV for $800 once.

Well, Parker wrote nice things about truchot years ago.

LOL oh the irony huh ? Parker nails Tricot and AM doesn’t get him ?

never bought a bottle at auction other than wine commune or wine bid. But I have scores from stores like 3 b of 88 Roumier BM VV for $300 each, 5 magnums of 1990 La Tâche for $550 each.

a case of 90 Yquem Jeros 900

Even though I didn’t need anymore 89 Montrose, there was a lot of 3 bottles of 89 Montrose ans 3 bottles of 89 Beychevelle for $250, somehow I got it.

In 2013 I got a full case of 2004 Giacosa Barolo Falletto (white label) for $85/bottle. Just need to live long enough to drink them all.

Brodie

I went to an antique auction and lo and behold they had wine - checked with the auctioneers and it was pulled from a wine cellar and was being sold due to a divorce/bankruptcy.

Picked up a row of 6 wines (they sold them by shelf on a rack) - '95 Lafite, '89 Tertre Roteboeuf, 86 Clerc Milon, a 2001 Château de Francs Les Cerisiers, a '99 d’Armailhac, and a '75 Bellegrave for $230. Bid was $210, auction premium 10 %. Have had the '89, '86, and '01, and all were in excellent condition. The Lafite looks to be in excellent condition as well.

retail customer of mine was otherways occupied on the day of a big auction,
sent me with instructions and his paddle…
nabbed a case of Vogüé Musigny from my birth year for him
and was rewarded with a bottle from the dozen.

I am sorry about this, Nick, but in the mid 1980s, La Cremaillere in/near Greenwich had this on the list for $85.

2x 1981 Krug Clos des Mesnil for $800 all in back in 2012.

Agreed, the big challenge, and the one to be proud of, is doing your research, setting your limit and walking away if the bidding goes beyond that.

Back in 2010 I bought a mixed case of 2004 and 2005 Clos Rougeard (including 6 bottles of Les Poyeaux, but no Bourg) for $650 all in on Winebid. A recent search shows them going for about $200 to $300 a bottle on Wine searcher retail. That was before they got much buzz on the wine boards. Not too many appreciated Loire CF back then.

IIRC in 2002 I bought a bottle of 1921 Chateau d’Yquem for $1200.00.

There were 4 bottles each in a lot by itself. I had pre-bid the $1200 on all four lots. Lots 1, 2, & 3 all went for over $4,000.00+ each. Lot 4 came up and nobody bid. My $1200.00 pre-bid “won” the auction. I did have to pay a 7% buyer’s premium and sales tax so the real price was was just under $1400.00.

Later The Wine Spectator Auction Index reported that an anonymous buyer bought a 1921 Yquem so far below the index price that they weren’t going to count it in the index.

It was the first bottle in my 21 bottle Yquem vertical in my cellar. We sold our house last year along with the Yquem vertical so we never got to drink it.

insanely great!

I wouldn’t agree with that. I can’t access issue one from the ipad but allen’s introductory comments indicated to me back then that he “got” truchot. Remember allen’s scores were more conservative then.

About 15 years ago, I got a case of 58, 59, 61, 62 Antoniolo Gattinara for something like $15 per. Sadly the wines are all gone.