What do you personally consider "dry"?

Wines I bottle unfiltered are less than .05g/l via ets. None detected from Vinquiry is just as good.

If you want to try and go unfiltered there are a few other things you could test to see if you can sleep at night. Is there any nitrogen left? Also a scorpion test is something I would recommend to see what if any spoilage yeast (ZygoSac specifically) or bacteria are present. Also I would recommend free so2 at .8mol at a minim so if your ph is much over 3.6 that may be more so2 than your ok with.

Any idea why id did not finish? Nitrogen? Temp crashed? Etoh/EA/VA to high?

You could also try to restart it and get it dry, but thats a whole different topic.

That particular wine ended up finishing after a few more days. The cap hadn’t quite dropped when I had it tested. I was asking just to mine your guy’s opinion about this in general.

Most winemakers I know consider dry for Cab to be 2g/L. Thats what I use. I typically wind up 0.5 to 1.5. But I had one 100-point Cab not long ago that was 7g/L. Along with VA of 1.19 and alcohol of 16.3%. The VA was masked by the prune-juice aroma and the sugar made the alcohol go down better. I gave it 51-points.

Is mummy pussy sweet?

Berry was originally asking about dry enough to bottle unfiltered. Do you bottle cab with that much rs unfiltered?

In a related question if you do choose to have rs above 2g/l what method of final filtration would you use for small volumes(<100 gal)…plate or PES cartridge ?

o.o is how I sleep at night.

I guess what ever you have handy already. If you have a plate and frame the main expense is the filter and pads are pretty inexpensive. If you have just a little wine to filter the cartridge housings are cheap but the cartridges are expensive. I have not done much filtration in my career and just bought a housing for a cartridge filter to complete our first late harvest Semillion. In the past I have seen better luck for large amounts in plate and frame but a much greater loss of volume and dissolved co2. You also need a pretty heavy duty expensive pump, Waukesha or other wise to push the wine thru. I have a double diaphragm pump that was able to get 120 gal of 12 g/l rs wine thru 4 stages of cartridges prior to bottling.

Or crossflow if you have it. Why not use the newest latest greatest technology.