What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 1)

09 Balius Old Vine Zin Bastoni Vyd

My common law ex-wife was over. We drank the rest of the cooking wine (it was OK) with a wonderful Julia Child recipe Beef Bourgogne my little kids totally dug.
Now having a glass of Absinthe.

But yesterday, the Latour Girard Mersault-Genvrieires 99 totally rocked

Wow, if my ex wife was over, I’d have finished the bottle of Bourbon (and maybe opened another).

2007 De Forville Barbaresco. Eh…was nothing special.

Rather an aberration for a Wednesday night…SQN Labels. Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.

Renaissance 2007 Carte d’Or. Pretty cool wine, definitely geeky…high-acid, a bit oxidative.

Went to grab a 96 Lanessan and this bottle came out of slot so said what the hell, lets give it a try.

1997 Kenwood Sonoma County Merlot - Fantastic little Sonoma merlot here. A knockoff of a high end right bank bordeaux. Lovely fruit, damp earth, freshness, dusty tannins. LONG earthy aftertaste. Not sure why I cellared or even bought this wine, but sure am glad I did. Fantastic.

Couldn’t have been more than $7 when new. I think it was probably a gift as I have no recollection of purchasing it. Wish I had some more!

2006 Nicholas Cole Syrah Dauphiné

2005 Frédéric Magnien Pinot Noir Bourgogne

I can’t remember how I came to possess this bottle, and the wine was just as forgettable.
My wife was experimenting with a new recipe and needed a Burgundy pairing for calibration.

Sipping on a Rivesaltes Ambre (opened yesterday) to fill the gap.

Cold Shiner Bock. Paired well with farfalle with shrimp, sauteed onion, garlic, red chili flakes, and vodka sauce with fresh basil.

Wheels of CdP tasting at Grailey’s with Harry Karis on Friday, so I’m taking it easy until then.

Hah, benefitted from the shipping snafu as well, I see [cheers.gif]
What did you think? It’s quite a restrained zin, needs time IMHO…

I had an 08 Carlisle Rosella’s Syrah

Tap. Water. Hope to rectify this evening.

I liked it. Showing some nice old vine characteristics that put it a step above your average $20 Zin. I bought another 1/2 case so I can follow it.

2008 De Angelis Lacrima Christi del Vesuvio with sausage, pancetta, and mushroom pizza. Very “dark”. Dark color, dark fruits, black licorice. Started to open up more just before recorking. Looking forward to checking it out again tonight.

2007 Tercero Syrah Thompson Vineyard

Rough night for us - Whisperkool is on the fritz (only cooling to about 65 degrees so had to call and have someone come out and look at it) so we broke our no wine this week and opened :

2009 Siduri Keefer Ranch - Corked
2007 Scherrer Syrah - nothing wrong with it but not showing much right now - first Scherrer I had with less than stellar results
2008 Crognolo - Finally. Nice big wie that needs time but after an hour of air really opened up while we caught up on conference tournaments and some DVR’d shows.

A 2000 Ravenswood Sonoma County Chardonnay ‘Sangicomo Vineyard’ - fill a half inch below the capsule, cork lightly colored a ragged half inch; color a medium yellow-gold, light oxidation, good white and yellow fruit, barely adequate acidity; with a medium long fruity finish. It was enjoyable with a New England-style Clam Chowder,

2007 Cabot Kimberlys Syrah

Delicious new world fruit balanced with acid/tannins and just loved the cracked white pepper on the nose and palate.

This wine has the “wow” factor.

Lemon Perrier. In my own “March Madness”. No alcohol during weekdays for the month. Amazing how fast the lbs evaporate. (And how much I look forward to the weekend!). [cheers.gif]

City Wine Merchant?

\

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vik1t1