What Are Your Favorite Cooking Tips And Tricks?

+1

Or, Duck fat

Your wife is not on WB? [stirthepothal.gif]

Keep a container of duck fat around. If you do not use it regularly, keep it in the freezer and take off pieces as needed.

FIFY!

+1

Terrific for roast pots, or fried eggs.
#2 for fried eggs would be olive oil.

Ha. No, Richard she isn’t. However. If she read that she would agree. It’s not a secret she is terrible in the kitchen.

Excellent veterinarian. Can’t make toast. No joke.

I grew up on bacon fat for fried eggs.

+1

When trying to remove a piece egg shell from a dish, wet your finger which will enable you to remove the shell forthwith.

Also hard if you have added any salt. neener

Subscribe to Cook’s Illustrated for a few years, read Serious Eats website often. Read recipes start to finish prior to starting to cook. Do all your prep work prior to starting a dish. Clean as you go. Have a clean kitchen towel to wipe down your workspace often. Don’t listen to family members who want their beef cooked beyond medium rare (leave the pan so they can fire their portion to their liking)

I like to cook spaghetti in our largest frying pan. The water boils faster, and the entire length fits in immediately.

I do that, and can serve each meal amid almost no remnant clean-up.

Speaking of clean up the best one trick pony in the kitchen has to be Bar Keeper’s Friend. There’s nothing it can’t do.

I use a squeegee to keep my kitchen counter clean, dry, and grease-free. Just wet the granite with water, and squeegee any mess into the sink. Saves from using paper and soap, and leaves plenty of sanitary work space during cooking.

Bacon fat is pretty tricky IMHO. I’m assuming your talking about real bacon, I still find it hard to keep it from browning badly and discoloring the eggs. (And of course the slurry you get from supermarket bacon should not be used to cook anything).

Huh? Salt raises the boiling point a little, doesn’t it?

Unless my Chemisty Professors were lying. newhere

Agreed. Love stuff like this.

My only tip is to make your next lobster roll with King’s Hawaiian sweet hot dog buns.