What are the 3 classic flavors that characterize California Pinot?

I agree. Stick one in a field of Old World burgundy and there is that California warm sap that flows out of them identifying the Golden State.

Cinnamon-spiked cherry Coke, with overt alcohol.
Think of Belle Clos Clark & Telephone 2002.

I poured some root beer into a square glass.

Now it’s just beer.

Not sure why I’m getting into this fray, but the answer is: there is no answer. California Pinot growing regions are huge, diverse, and scattered over hundreds of miles. There are cooler regions, warmer regions, coastal regions, inland regions, growers who pick earlier, growers who pick later, winemakers who use new oak, and who use no oak; who use stems and don’t; who soak and extract like hell, and don’t. To think there are any characteristics common to “California” Pinot is to ignore these realities.

Quite true. My response had less to do with CA Pinot Noir than with the grape in general. It’s always itself, no matter where it’s from. Overlaid on that are all of the other things people like or don’t like - more or less acidity, earth, funk, spice, etc.

But since when does reason belong in a discussion about wine?
neener

If I had to pick ‘generic’ terms that pop up frequently…

“Sour cherry” or “dark dark Bing cherry.”

Very faint bergamot.

A touch of “flesh,” as in ultra ultra rare filet mignon.

In the ones I don’t prefer, cooperage (new oak heavy toast), cola, alcohol, lack of acid/tannin on finish.

In the ones I prefer, carbonic/stem, raspberry/strawberry/cranberry/rhubarb (acidic red fruits), structure on the finish, acid and tannin.

There is a overriding “sunshine” component vs OR and Burg.

Meomi drinks like a heavy Syrah.

Oh please let’s not slap Syrah in the face too with that comment.

Someone mentioned, when it’s good - violets. I agree - lavender is a great note to come across. Similar!

Pomegranate, baking spice, orange peel?

I generally agree with this, but I think there are some identifying traits that characterize pinot from one region to another:

Sonoma Coast = raspberry/cranberry
Anderson Valley = rhubarb
SLH’s = strawberry
RRV = cherry and cola