Weyerbacher 2010 Riserva

You’re kidding about breaking those?
If not, I have a few more stashed beyond what I “need.”

I have three set aside for Brian, and I told him that if I liked it, his may get ‘broken’. That is exactly what happened. [whistle.gif] [tease.gif]

All the way from the Cyprus, Bob: [smack.gif]

I just had another one of these a few nights ago. delicioustown. This bottle was more sour than the one I sampled from with Peter, really intensely sour. There was enough complexity to warrant some conversation, and a vinous quality. Combined with the funk and slightly elevated VA, it was reminding me a little bit of a Musar Rouge, which I also love. Truly a world class, outstanding beer, and one that shows domestic sours can be every bit as good as Lambic or whatever other Belgian sour you want to compare them to.

Great. All the way from the other side of the Atlantic, I’m pretty sure I just heard another PA-located bottle of this brew break.

Of the hundred-something bottles of beer I’m aging, this is the one stolen by the guys working on my house. Hope it gave them the wild.yeast shits!

The mess from the broken glass was terrible. But don’t worry- I am going to replace it with this brand new beer I found called Milwaukee’s Best. If it is truly their best, I’m sure you’ll like it. hitsfan

2012 version just selected best local by the Philadelphia Inquirer panel - Far-out flavor

Kevin:
I just posted on this a couple of weeks ago. The '12 is a very good beer, but pales in comparison to the '10.

Thx Bob - I see discussion of the '11, but not the '12. Have you tried the '12 and found it wanting compared to the '10?

I thought that the Inquirer article might be interesting nonetheless. My local - Tired Hands Brewing - fared quite well which gave credence to the ‘experts’ from my perspective.

Yes and yes. It is very good, don’t get me wrong. But it is nothing like that '10, which is something super duper special.

What differences do you perceive, Bob, between the '10 and the '12?

Is this bottling a single vintage - as labeled, or is it a blend of vintages, and the “vintage” on the bottle represents the year it was bottled?

The beer is all one batch, from one vintage. The 2010 is WAY more sour than the 12, or quite frankly any beer I have ever had. No joke- this wine is a sour bomb. WAY more brett as well. A really funky cherry flavor that really works. The 12 has more cherry, and less of the brett and sour.

I finally scored a bottle of this. Haven’t tried it yet., but happy to have one. Interesting that it has a sticker on it from the brewery stating that the 2010 is like no other they have made, and is their most sour ever.

I finally had a guest over that likes sour beer. So we opened up a 2010 and 2011 Riserva, and went back and forth between the 2. First, I must say the 2011 is very nice, more of what I would expect in a Wild Ale/Lambic style - fruit with some underlying sour. But HOLY MOLY that 2010 is freaking SOUR! If you remember eating Zotz candy as a kid, this is like breaking open 200 Zotz and dumping them into a beer. Fantastic! Musty and fruity in the background, I kept going back and forth between the 2011 and 2010, every time tasting the 2010 was an explosion of sour goodness.
WR01.JPG

Thanks for the update, Scott. Ever since I wrote the note below, I have been scared to open another of my remaining two. Based on your note, I will continue being scared.

2010 Weyerbacher Brewing Co. Riserva - USA, Pennsylvania (11/29/2013)
– caged and corked 750mL; signs of seepage –
– tasted non-blind –
– sour ale with raspberry puree, aged in oak barrels –

NOSE: friggin’ awesome nose; very complex and expressive; winey; raspberry; hint of funk and Yankee Christmas candle

BODY: hazy tawny-red color — kind of like a 10 yo Tawny Port;

TASTE: holy schiekes, Batman!!! This pucker is sa-our!!! Probably the most tart beer I’ve ever had; raspberry is up-front, and obviously raspberry, lending a pleasurable sense of sweetness to this beer — that aspect might even be a bit too prominent for me at this point: perhaps I’d prefer this with a few more years beneath its belt.

HAHA! I didn’t taste it in 2013 Brian, but I feel confident it hasn’t softened any!!

I doubt this has softened. Or will for that matter.

I have one bottle left. It is weird and odd but I like it. I am going to save my last one for a special occasion- probably a sour tasting at home.