West Palm/Boca Raton Reqs

Went down the last few winters and I have to say of all the places I tried (including Cafe Daniel, which was fine but not special), this place stood out both for food and amazing wine list: Marcello’s La Sirena in West Palm Beach. Their genuine high end, old style “northern Italian” cuisine is lovely, as the service. (Along with the coastline, the only thing I am going to miss down there.) That said, Kitchen was always sound and did do corkage, if I recall (http://kitchenpb.com/).
Enjoy!

Of mine, Tryst has since closed and 32 East is closing around Mother’s Day. Butch is going to be leasing the property out to Louie Bossi for a handsome sum.

Regarding steakhouses, I enjoy NY Prime as well as Abe & Louie’s in Boca.

Had a delicious meal at Novello in Boca the other night. Very reasonable wine list and $25 corkage. Not fancy, but really delicious food and excellent service.

Headed to Boca Raton next weekend. I’ll pick a few restaurants from these pages and report back.

Cheers,

Warren

A favorite of my parent’s when they were still alive. I favored Poppies on Linton & Military Trail.

I know this is farther south, but we were in South Beach for NYE and the day before and we ate at Machialina’s and loved it…and we were both down with whatever is going around and still loved it.

Damn! Was in Boca last week. Wish I would’ve checked here 1st. My husband actually did quite a bit of cooking at the request of his daughter - if you need a really good Italian market, Doris’ is awesome. Wish we had one here. We had lunch at their favorite place, Latinos in Deerfield Beach. Excellent Latin food! Live musica on the weekends!

I go to Doris’ all the time! Their prepared foods are good too.

32nd east is closing ? That’s one of my favorite restaurants in South Florida. Sorry to hear.

Yes, unfortunately.

We were there for a friends birthday last night and all of the permitting and plans have gone through. It appears Mothers Day will be the final day/weekend.

I’ve been to Bossi Pizza in Fort Lauderdale, they apparently also have one in Boca. What I write applies to Fort Lauderdale, as that’s the only one I’ve been to (I may well be back there tomorrow, will certainly be sometime next week).

It’s only a pizzeria in the sense that they serve pizza. It’s a complete, deeply traditional Italian restaurant with incredible salumi and fine cheeses. They’ve got almost 50 wines by the glass, and the bottle list is much bigger. There are too many standard names and they do not list the vintages on the list, but prices are reasonable for Florida and the servers will happily help you go into detail. If Boca is as good as Fort Lauderdale, this is a no-brainer for excellent food and wine that does not break the budget.

Dan Kravitz

The one in Boca is more about the bar/fun atmosphere and not so much the food.

I know I’m south of Boca, but just had a fine dinner at Mojo in Fort Lauderdale (north end).

This is a very good restaurant, Italian with a lot of international touches. The wine list is notable.

Downside: They don’t list vintages.

Upsides: Overwhelm the downsides.
There are about 150 wines.
There are several dozen btg.
Prices are very moderate.
The list is incredibly eclectic (Lebanese wines, not from Musar!).
THEY WILL OPEN ANY WINE ON THE LIST FOR GLASS POURS, AS LONG AS YOU ORDER TWO GLASSES!
The price is 1/4 of the bottle price. The pouring is done by the server and ours worked hard to give us a full six ounces, or 1/4 of the bottle.
From the glass list, I had 2016 Santa Luz Sauvignon Blanc from Chile.
We had two glasses of 2013 Quivira Zinfandel for $13/glass for a six ounce glass.
We had two glasses of 2013 Chateau St. Cosme Cotes du Rhone Les Deux Albions for $12.50/glass.

Wine list prices run from $30 - 120 per bottle. For the expensive ones some vintages are listed.

The food was very good, with big portions of very well made, rather Italian dishes. Sally had a humongous lamb shank. I had Meat Loaf. Matt (our desiccated driver) had a pork chop that he inhaled. Sally and Matt took desserts home, which apparently were also really good.

Michelin will not award a star.
Wine snobs will turn up their noses.
Everybody else will be very happy.

Dan Kravitz