Washington DC recs

Plus 1 for Kimptons. We stayed in one a few years ago when visiting our daughter. Same daughter is back in San Diego but travels to DC on business. She stayed at the Kimpton Helix last month and is going back today. She said her room was ginormous with a great location.

Hotels.com shows a room from 9/17 to 9/20 for $200 per night. Shop around! Oh, and have fun.

Lots of great information here. I’ll be in DC with my family this weekend (Thursday to Sunday). White House tour Friday, and maybe the “Engineering Family Day” at the National Building Museum on Saturday (an opportunity I wouldn’t have known about but for this thread).

Any family-friendly restaurant recommendations? I searched EE but didn’t turn up anything. My kids are 5 and 7. We’re staying at the Ritz-Carlton if that’s helpful.

Pizza Paradiso, 2 Amys…

I agree with Randall: the best pizza in DC is at Pizzaria Paradiso in Dupont Circle or Old Town Alexandria, with 2 Amys coming in a close second (Glover Park, across from the Cathedral). Close to the NBM (which is a blast) you might want to check out Oyamel (Mexican), Hill Country (BBQ), Jaleo (tapas) and Zaytinya (Greek, more or less) – all on the informal and relatively inexpensive side. A step up in cost but still jeans-friendly is Rasika, which I am prepared to say is the best restaurant in DC (at least this side of Komi) and the best Indian restaurant in the US. All are in Penn Quarter, which is maybe 5 blocks or so from the NBM.

BTW, be sure to climb to the top of the NBM. Fantastic views of the architecture. Read up on the history of the building itself here: Mission of the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C. | National Building Museum

My wife and I went to Rasika (sans kids). We both loved it, the palak chaat especially. And Pizzeria Paradiso was a hit with everyone. Thanks for the suggestions.

Glad you had a good time

This post is old, but others might find value from my pov.

The Smithsonian is so huge you will only see pieces of it over a weekend. Plan to arrive early on any day you visit. Once noon hits they get quite crowded. If you’re like me and love the Impressionists – show up at top of the opening hour then go to that section of the National Gallery first before the crowds. The NG has mobile apps now too… you can bring your own headsets for your phones and get a guided tour. Pretty cool.

If you like aviation – skip the air & space museum in town and head out to Dulles. https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

DC has one of the best beer bars in the country – Church Key. http://churchkeydc.com/

There is a very good seafood place - BlackSalt - right next to the worthy MacArthur wine shop.

Uber drivers in DC can be quite fun to talk to. Last trip I had an Uzbek interpreter who didn’t have any work that day.

The only thing I can’t agree with is the Air and Space advice. I am a big fan of the Udvar Hazy annex, and if you can work it into your plans it is well worth the effort. But the A&S on the Mall is the single greatest museum in the world for any science/technology (and some would argue of any kind). The original the most significant airships of all time: the Wright Flyer original, the Spirit of St Louis, Friendship 7, Apollo 11 . . . there is literally nothing like it on the planet. Aside from the Anola Gay, Undvar Hazy has great examples of airframes that exist elsewhere (an SR72, a Concord, a Space Shuttle, a Corsair etc). Both are must-see spots for aviation buffs, but the museum on the Mall is indispensable.

No, no, no, I cannot disagree more strenuously.

I actually consider the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio better than both. But… wherever I go if there’s a museum it’s on my bucket list.

What I really miss is the precursor to the Hazy annex. The Garber was one cool place which is no longer open for tours. I learned more from the docents there than I’ve ever learned anywhere else over my many visits.

Garber was awesome. We used to go to the open house every year

Just found this thread (apparently, there’s a search function now!). We are heading to DC in April for a friend’s 40th birthday (in Takoma Park).

We’re very much in and out. Was thinking of trying to see the National Gallery of Art and based on the thread, maybe we’ll head to DuPont Circle Farmers Market as soon as we get in town.

If there’s anything new going on in the city, I’d welcome any suggestions.

Yes, the Metro is getting a lot of attention. Not sure why, but it should be a problem.

You’l have to do better than “anything new.” What sort of things are you looking for? The East Wing of the NGA is closed for renovations, but the West (original) wing is open and was buzzing this weekend (the last for the Hellenistic bronzes exhibit). There are always exhibitions and new things at the rest of the art exhibits in town (the Renwick has a great exhibit called Wonder now through May).

Takoma Park is next door to my neighborhood. It has its own farmers’ market on Sunday morning that it pretty good. The only decent restaurant in TP is Republic. In Silver Spring (my 'hood), Urban Butcher and the Classics are good (But I’m rather biased as I am friends with the owners of each). Wine lists in TP/SS all suck because of our county liquor system. SS has become a hub for Ethiopians and we have several good Ethiopian restaurants.

If you have the time while in TP, stop by 3 Stars brewery. My favorite is their Peppercorn Saison.

Neal, By “anything new”, I meant anything not mentioned in the thread. We should have maybe 2-3 hours to explore on Saturday and 8 solid hours to explore on Sunday, so I’m hoping to find a few things that are clustered together that might be fun. I’m relatively set on hitting up a museum and the National Gallery of Art seemed most appealing. I don’t think Linda will want to do a hardcore American history tour, but if we walk around the mall a bit, I imagine that she will enjoy.

JP – we are headed to Republic for the party. My understanding is that there will be a post-party, party, so dinner in DC is probably out, unless we make early rezzies on Sunday.

The NGA is enormous, and could fill as much of your time as you’d like to give it. Of course the other museums on the Mall are all extraordinary, so you could spend the afternoon picking highlights from each. The Air and Space, of course is iconic and unique on the planet. Sackler/Freer are devoted to Asian art and are exceptional if you have an interest. The Phillips Collection is a marvelous space, in Dupont Circle and can be combined with the Saturday market. Some fabulous Impressionists, a room of Rothkos etc.

All of the Penn Quarter restaurants are easily reached from the Mall. Rasika, Oyamel, Hill Country BBQ, Zaytinya are all very fine (Rasika is my favorite in DC, but you’ll definitely need reservations) all within 4 blocks of the Archives (i.e., on the Mall)

Fantastic info, Neal.

I think food will be mostly an afterthought this trip, though we might grab a quick lunch nearish Dupont Circle on Saturday, so if you have any recs…

I don’t recall hearing about the Phillips Collection, but that sounds like it might be worth a shout on Sunday.

I really appreciate the advice, thank you.

The Freer is very nice, but is closed for renovation currently.

A few places around Dupont to consider for lunch -

http://www.dgsdelicatessen.com/

I love the Phillips. An old robber baron home (since expanded) similar to the old Barnes in Phil. Unlike the Smithsonian, it costs to get in.

Pizzaria Paradiso in Dupont Circle is excellent cheap and quick. I like DGS (boho deli) too.

And happy to help pimp my town!

Jeannine is from Takoma Park, Corey. Look to see if you can find her monument.

If you are down by the White House touring, consider Old Ebbit Grill (not for the food, but for the experience).