Washington DC Area - Virginia vs the World, Blind

That would be most of Northern Virginia in the late 1960’s, I believe.

I can bring a 2007 Octagon.

Totally fine with me. Happy to open all four!

I should be good to go. My apologies for not checking in earlier.

I have some RdV that am happy to bring. Not much else in the way of VA wine. Happy to chase some down if we need. Could always run out to Linden.

Well that didn’t take long. I got an email from a college buddy that his son is flying over from Germany earlier than expected. So he is now arriving at Dulles around 4 pm on the 13th. Sorry about that. Disappointed to be missing this one.

Thanks, Joe, for bringing some order to all of this.

We will plan on bringing 2007 Linden Boisseau and a 2007 Barboursville Octagon.

We’ll also bring a Thibaut-Janisson. We can just have it to drink, or we can try and set up a sparkler flight around it.

Cellar Tracker lied to me, so unfortunately I don’t have any Virginia whites (other than stickies) to offer.

hi all…

planning to bring 2010 Yannick Amirault Pavillon du Grand Clos and Olga Raffault Chinon Picasses for my world wines.

will let you know if these change. fist bump.

I can offer a 2010 Linden Cab Franc – and that’s a flight right there. Thoughts?

Sounds good. I’ve already got the 2007 Octagon covered.
:slight_smile:

You’re right – I missed that. Instead – I’ll offer 2007 Linden Hardscrabble (along with the 2007 Boisseau, 2010 Cab Franc, and the bubbles).

Are we going to Decant at home before bringing over the vino? Also since I am rather new to this format, what would be a comparable world wine to these? I have some 2010 Bordeaux but it would be a crime to open so early… Are we looking for something in the same price range to compare to maybe an 07 CdP? Just need to go shopping for 2010 or 2007 so I need little guidance.

I think this is the hardest question. 2006-2011 Bdx blends and similar from California are easy too md and make a potentially good comparison. There’s lots of Cru Bourgeois Bdx and I would guess that exact year-by-year correlates aren’t inportant. I had a 2010 Malescot St.-Ex second wine that was eminently drinkable and would have been a good match. Same goes for something like Crognolo or other Italian Bdx- style blends, which could be an interesting comparison.

This sounds interesting, I’d like to see if I can meet the vintage requirements, and come. Please hold a slot for me for a couple days to dig through the cellar. Jace

I think I have Linden in a '10 Avenius (red), and '10 Hardscrapple Chard; and '07 Hodder Hill (Glen Manor). Please hold two slots if available.

Alright, so the first world red I’m bringing is Bodegas Muga Seleccion Especial 2010- Tempranillo Rioja.

A great wine, but aren’t we trying to go apples-to-apples? No Virginia Tempranillo to compare to… I think we’re largely limited to bordeaux varietals for the Reds and Chards for the whites. Though, for fun, will throw some sticky petit Manseng into the mix as there’s no other good dessert comparison.

Also, if anyone has any Breaux Nebbiolo, I can match it with an Altamura.

Similarly vintaged CA merlot, cab and blends in most of our cellars and same goes with Bdx.

I thought that since it was vs. The world… We could bring something fun, not just Bdx as that would be vs. France. I’ve never done something like this, so let me know if I should stick with BDX or with “what would you rather drink for a similar price range and vintage.”. Plus is a VA BDX style wine really a BDX or smart marketing :wink: .

Rioja, Loire Cab Franc, etc. will stick out like a sore thumb, I’d think.

Joe D: When you said “2010 and 2007,” are you thinking just Bordeaux-based blends? That would seem to make the most sense.

Hey All -

To clarify re 2007/2010 - BRDX style blends please. The idea is to try similar style wines from key wine regions. I do not think we will have critical mass to do a Cab Franc flight, but I supposed i could be convinced otherwise.

For those who haven’t responded, can you please list your “world wines”, I will update the list up top. Need to figure out if there are any “holes” in the lineup …
-JD

Just to recap (since I didn’t see it in the summary up top), we will bring:
2007 Linden Hardscrabble
2007 Linden Boisseau
2010 Linden Cab Franc
Thibaut-Jannison bubbles