Virginia Wineries - Weekday Visit

Hi all! Just reporting back … we had a perfect day today … probably not even 80 degrees and no humidity – totally unheard of for august! We drove down to Barboursville … and Brian nailed it … the Nebbiolo and the Octagon were my favorites (brought home a bottle of 2010 Octagon).

After walking around the grounds a bit we then got back in the car and headed over to Early Mountain… beautiful tasting room – although it looked like the designer had a bit too much fun with the restoration hardware/pottery barn aesthetic (not necessarily a bad thing, but quite noticeable).

We sat out on the patio (again, couldn’t ask for better weather!), did a tasting flight of the Early Mountain wines (nothing too special … the Bordeaux Blend was the only glass I finished) and i ordered a glass of the Barboursville Nebbiolo. We also had a glass of the Thibaut-Janisson Blanc de Chardonnay, which was very nice.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice!! While it’s not quite trekking through Sonoma County, it was still a beautiful spot and totally fit the bill for the escape from D.C. we needed! Cheers! :slight_smile:

I was right? Don’t let the guys over in the Tony Stewart thread know. [whistle.gif]

Glad you enjoyed it. When the Virginia winemakers came to town the two Barboursville wines were two of the best of the event. Thibeau-Jannison poured their sparkler as well. It was definitely quaffable.
[cheers.gif]

Any must visit vineyards that are not Linden? (I’ve been reading some negatives of the unwelcoming nature of the Linden tasting room and having to be a member to sit on their decks during the weekend. Plus his whole 4 people limit for sitting is insane to me. This has put me off supporting this operation to the point that I would rather fly to Napa or Sonoma and enjoy their welcoming nature.). Is there RdV tasting worth the $50?! That seems like a lot and borders super high end tastings in Napa.

Linden gets slammed on the weekend. Membership just means that one buys a case a year and one can buy that day and use the deck. It’s the only restriction that I am aware of and only became one when the crowds got too large. I actually find it a good thing as the deck is crowded enough as is with it being turned into a wine bar for anyone who stops. Beyond that Linden is great and Jim Law is one of the legends in VA wine world. If you go, I would do the cellar tasting.

RdV is worth visiting and making great wine but we did drop off the list due to continued price increases. I am not a buyer at current prices so would probably not visit based on that.

Glen Manor is a must visit. Jeff is making great wine if not getting the level of attention of RdV or Linden.

Not Front Royal but Barboursville is still worth a visit but avoid the crowd and go to the wine library or whatever they call it.

Veritas makes good sparklers but is always slammed on the weekend and has been known to be sold out of sparklers.

Kings Family has some decent wines and worth a stop for the polo matches.

Pollack makes some nice wines and worth a stop if in the area but isn’t a destination by itself.

I’ve learned a bit more about Virginia Wine since I started this thread, although I haven’t done too many additional visits – but I’ll pipe in with a few comments:

• I’m enjoying Early Mountain wines much more than on my first visit there. Recently attended at tasting of their spring/summer releases here in D.C. – all whites and one rose, which were lively and fun to drink.

• I haven’t been yet, but after attending this year’s Virginia Wine Summit, Michael Shaps is at the top of my list of wineries to visit.

Thanks Brian and Alicia. I’ll let you all know how it goes next Friday (after a lot of reading, I want to avoid the actual weekend, plus no kids in tow). Probably going to go to Glen Manor and maybe RdV to see what it’s all about, though I doubt I’ll end up buying any at that price.

Michael Shaps is well worth it if you are down around Monticello. I enjoy their bubbles and cab franc. They are doing rose in a box that is a great QPR (3 ltrs for $40).

Juan - A Front Royal expedition of Glen Manor/Linden/RdV would be a good itinerary. Or a Charlottesville route Shaps/Barboursville/Horton/King Family would also work.

Charlottesville and Front Royal are 60+ miles apart on back roads, IMO too far to comfortably do in 1 day.

Charlottesville will be an overnight so I can enjoy the three trip.

Delaying Front Royal trip until next Friday.