UPS: Free delivery to UPS Stores

It actually makes economic sense. As an example: UPS guy has 100 packages to deliver, to 100 different locations. But now he can deliver 100 packages to 80 locations - saves time and gas. Why not encourage people to direct to the UPS Store?

I believe the basic problem is that FedEx owns its stores. UPS Stores are franchises (originally Mail Boxes Etc.). As a result, the UPS stores can’t be forced to take packages but rather are compensated by UPS in some way for the connection. Presumably for shipments either there’s a portion of the shipping cost or, more likely, an expectation the store will earn money from the packaging materials they sell. For receipt of packages, it’s unclear what the compensation would be . . . (although of course UPS could provide a handling fee that represents a portion of the cost savings you suggest would exist).

All true, but that would be UPS’s problem. It’s not the customer’s problem unless they choose to make it the customer’s problem. It’s problems like this that are the reason UPS is losing out to FedEx.

FWIW, the UPS store in my town is horrible, and I suspect that they would not be willing to do this even if UPS mandated it…

Good info, thanks guys. Still makes sense for UPS as a whole, but I was unaware of the whole franchise situation.

Hey - I wasn’t defending UPS, just explaining why the situation is what it is. It’s a problem for UPS’s business model that they aren’t able to offer a useful service as seamlessly as FedEx is, and thus a disadvantage for customers.

The UPS stores will accept shipments from any shipper, not just UPS. As mentioned, they are franchises so there are costs for the service, either by the package or a monthly fee for a postal box.

-Al

My UPS Store only charges me $5 per box and usually waves it for wine shipped in a 6-pack or less box. I am more than OK with this arrangement to avoid the hassle of being home to sign for the shipments. The store is also only 5 minutes from my house.

I’d be fine with that too. But mine (in theory) won’t accept stuff if one is not a mailbox holder. And they charge $10 per box. Although yesterday they only charged 1 fee for two boxes.

They told my wife that they hate doing shipments sent directly to them because its often used for drugs/illegal shipments. They are ‘more ok’ with myChoice redirects. There seems to be some subtle difference between the two, from the perspective of the UPS Store franchisee. I suspect its all fee related though.

My feeling as a shipping customer is that all the UPS/Teamster work rules make it harder to serve the customers effectively, and if all things are equal, make it very easy to stick with FedEx retailers. Perhaps big shippers like wineries or retailers have some different considerations of what they care about, and prefer UPS for those reasons.

I got spoiled living in a doorman building and now that I’m in suburban car driving SFH America all these complications are vexing…

Totally different to have it held at the hub. For some people that works, if they’re close to a hub. But a lot of times, those hubs are in not very convenient locations.

Our hub is 20 mi away out in the boonies, where land is cheap, and there is room for the big brown oven trucks to frolic at night when no one can see them.

My wife uses our local UPS store for regular shipments and they know me on site for pickups. I’ll be in trouble if the paths cross. [snort.gif]

Same thing happened to me up in wisconsin. Had no idea they didn’t accept packages like fedex office did.

From the UPS site…

What packages are eligible for delivery to or drop off at a UPS Access Point location?

Refer to the applicable UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and UPS Rate and Service Guide or the local equivalents (together, the “UPS Terms”) for limitations affecting the eligibility of packages for delivery to, or drop off at, a UPS Access Point™ location. Except as otherwise provided in the applicable local UPS terms, the following limitations will apply.

A package eligible for delivery to or drop off at a UPS Access Point location must meet the following requirements:

It must weigh less than 44lbs/20kg
Its longest side must not exceed 32in/80cm in length
Its total size must not exceed 130in/330cm in length and girth combined
It has a value of less than $5000 USD if delivered or shipped to a UPS Access Point location or a value up to $1000 USD if dropped off for shipment as a pre-processed shipment
Its contents must not be identified as a restricted article by the applicable UPS Rate and Service Guide or the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service. For example, packages containing hazardous materials requiring shipping papers, firearms, or ammunition are not eligible

Except in limited circumstances, packages requiring an adult’s signature are not eligible. A package may also be ineligible as a result of the shipper’s instructions.

Note: These weight and size restrictions do not apply to packages that are pre-processed for shipment and dropped off at The UPS Store® locations. Such drop off packages are subject to the maximum size and weight restrictions set forth in the Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service

Just tried to use this new service… but alcohol with an adult signature required is not permitted. Still can have it held at the hub (1 hr round trip in the car…) [soap.gif]

No problem with Fed Ex doing wine this way.

I can walk across the street to a FedEx store. I need to go talk to them (and make a list of who ships to me via FedEx).

Yup, Be careful .
I’ve had wineries ship UPS to my Fed EX address after being told in writing several times. The wine was refused at Fed EX & made a trip back to Napa.

There’s a lot of YMMV with all this stuff.

For now, I’ll try to avoid UPS…but there are 3 places I quite like which seem to only use UPS.