Under row weed management

SPEDO makes several different implements for in-row use and they look like other manufacturers implements. Which model are you referring to?

i m thinking about purchasing a Mercurio with different implements due to different soils we manage … not sure about english translation… in this link it would be implement No 2, 4 and 7 … http://www.spedo.eu/pagine/vigneto_utensili.php

BrankoPjanic - The unit is a PTO tractor connection which then houses the hydraulics to drive the different implements. The implements look like the choices you get with Braun( http://www.vineyardmachines.com/index_files/F.BRAUN.luv0001.pdf) and Clemens(http://www.clemens-america.com/index.EN.php?cnt=p4040&nav=m208&dash=radius) except that they hook directly into your tractor hydraulics. My apologies on the links as one has to dig through their online links to find all of the options. Youtube has many videos of the configurations for the Braun LUV-Perfekt and the CLemens Radius. Gearmore and Rankin Equipment are listed as SPEDO representatives but I did not see info on their offerings. The variations for in-row cultivation all have a sensor rod that trips a hydraulic valve to retract. Those variations are slicing root blade, rotary cultivator, flail mower, cultivating blades, and others. I would check to see if anyone in your area is using any type of mechanical weeding device to get an idea what works in your soils and climate.

As an add when I went looking for the Pellenc Tournesol I came across the Vinetech Equipment website that showed the Pellenc discontinued and they are offering an ID David implement that preforms somewhat like the SPEDO. Here’s the youtube link … ID David Rotary Weeder - YouTube .

thank you very much Gary! yes i am aware of other producers, especially Clemens but my main reasons why i m looking upon SPEDO are local availability and services (being in Mexico has its drawbacks), not such a bad price and multitasking…
that is why i m trying to figure out more about SPEDO…

BrankoPjanic - I’ve looked through a couple online SPEDO resources and videos. Their equipment looks to be strongly made and probably on par with my Braun LUV-Perfekt. Note that in almost all cases, and with all manufacturers, one moves pretty slowly down the row with the weeder initially. After your break-in learning period and a few equipment adjustments you will get a feel for how fast you can travel for your soils and vine spacing.

Few things to consider.
(1) how is the sensitivity for the sensor wand adjusted and is there a secondary sensing when hitting larger underground obstruction(rocks)
(2) how does the trigger sensor valve work? Is there always flow trough the valve(like Braun) or only when sensor is triggered(like CLemens)?
(3) can you set the sensing bar forward if you want to play conservative?
(4) what is the recoil mechanism?..spring, hydraulics, both?
(5) does your vineyard have some side slope such that you need a tilt function?
(6) any hydraulic offset needed to go in and out of row ends(narrow rows)
(7) if you have close vine spacing make sure the weeder/cultivator attachment is small enough to give you good intravine coverage
(8) metal gauge wheels are good but how easy is it to set desired height when 3 pt hitch lift is down? Are there 1 or 2 gauge wheels?
(9) it looks like the Mercurio unit is pto over hydraulics just make sure the speed and teeth match to your tractor
(10) how is the hydraulic flow cooled in the unit cooled(large sump or radiative cooler)?
(11) unlikely there is a weight problem but double check the weight vs hydraulic lift specs
(12) any 12v connections needed like for a panic override button?
(13) will dealer have any spare parts on hand or can get them ASAP?

My apologies to throw so many things at you but just want to make sure these are covered as there is a learning curve to using these weeders. They work well when dialed in but there is a learning curve and patience required when first starting.

yes, that was a BIG reply but i am very thankful for it Gary!
i ll pass through all of the point in order to understand and learn more for sure

have a good day

We just demoed a Caffini Acqua Knife (aka Weed Killer in Italy), a waterjet undervine device, not rock sensitive. We are looking forward to seeing the dual head front mount with a 3 Point tank. We have a lot of steeps. Supposedly the newer model has a lower profile head, fit better under irrigation lines. Not especially fast, but did a nice job.

Anybody tried Weed Slayer? It’s a new organic herbicide. It’s supposed to be systemic, like Roundup. It’s about triple or quadruple the cost of Roundup, but it might be worthwhile if it works as well.
I’ve tried a few other organic sprays, and they maybe made the weeds a little sad, but nothing more. My general complaint with most alternatives to Roundup is that they require you to treat weeds very early to have any hope of success. That goes for flaming, spraying and cultivating. That’s the opposite of what I think is desireable. I think that, however you eventually knock it down, a healthy stand of cover crop is the most important thing for soil health. So, I’m not comfortable with any means of control that doesn’t allow for robust grass growth under the vine up until bud break. Plus, I’m not wild about cultivating soil on the sloped portion of terraces under the vines, as I don’t see how that soil doesn’t move downhill with repeated disturbance. So, I’m a Roundup user, at this point. I’m not uncomfortable with that, as the Roundup treated strips under the vines produce healthy grass growth every Winter/Spring, and I take that as evidence that the soil is in decent shape. Still, there are grape buyers for whom organic is important, and I’d like to find a Roundup stand-in for that reason.

Bill - That is a pretty interesting weeder. It’s hard to tell how well it works on a good stand of under trellis weeds. I gather that it’s super high pressure tears the above ground blades/leaves off…correct? Here’s a video that has the smaller heads shown.

ikQOuEDXkXI

Stewart - That product has potential if it works well on established weeds. I’ve tried the old acid burn formulas in other applications and they just never last for me as well. Always expensive and not working. One point you make is very true. You have to be on top of weeds early and often at the start of the growing season if you do the cultivation route. At the moment I’m a little behind mine which I do not like. I’ll have to see if Weed Slayer product is available in CT. I would be willing to do a sampling around my end posts for starters. Thanks for sharing.

The high pressure jets cut the weed stem below ground level.
Runs at 10,000 psi

Bill - What’s the water use rate?

Add - I’m assuming you can control the spring back rate? I saw a video, old bucket style Caffini, with narrow spaced vines and it seems that one needs to go slow to avoid whacking younger vines…

I don’t have your answers. The Caffini needs to go slow in general, though not as so slow as the steam unit we saw at a local show.
Spring loaded arms are problematic in general as we switch from level to steep uphill, to steep downhill. Whacking small vines, as you say. We rent a Perfect Mower with side arms that suffers from these issues. They are going to demo a hydraulic unit for us in a few weeks. Our rows vary from 8’ to 12’ so adjustable width is nice if we are shooting for one pass.

Bill - Would love to see a new sensor technology developed for these weeding units that can see the object and evaluate the terrain at the same time. Yesterday’s afternoon weeding was strange as I had the unit jump into the irrigation wire and tubing and lacerate it in 2 sections. Part of that is how the sensor rod can move up on the object it is sensing. Lost one plant as well. This is rare but does happen and when it does I’m not happy. Will be interested to see how well your Caffini works. I’m impressed a unit can handle 8’ to 12’ rows.

Stewart - I have one of my distributors(Helena Chem) looking to see if Weed Slayer is registered in my region. My guess is that this formulation is too new for state review in my neck of the woods. In looking at it a bit more it appears to be a newer improved version of Burnout II which is a clove oil - citric acid - surfactant. I tried the pricey Burnout II many moons ago with very little effect on an established stand of weeds. One of the constituents in clove oil is eugenol which is the primary active ingredient in Weed Slayer and the molasses water mix must be the sticker/surfactant to keep it in place and active. If you try it let us know how it works.

Now that you mention it, I also vaguely remember trying Burnout years ago, with similar non-results. I haven’t tried Weed Slayer. I was waiting on a friend who was going to try some on mature weeds. I specifically asked a rep about the Weed Slayer properties, and he said that it was systemic; i.e., kills the whole plant, like Roundup. I think Burnout was a contact/burndown product; i.e., only killed the tissue it touched. I may be wrong about that, or maybe they are materially different, or maybe this is another instance of an organic product promising way more than it can deliver.

With a full canopy one thing I would change would be to have the weeder up front where I can see it. At the moment narrow rows with canopy tends to fill my mirrors so I cannot see the weeder in action to make minor adjustments.