Two of the better wines of the year

Thanks for the Saran (polyethylene) thread tip.

Note that stretch wrap won’t work – it needs to be the original plastic wrap, like original Saran.

Absolutely. Instead you should listen to the educated sense from France and the US that tells you exactly the same thing. [basic-smile.gif]

Mr. Waterhouse had a small collection of fine wines that he kept for a few years in a New Orleans closet with no temperature control. When it came time to return to California, he thought there was no point in shipping wines that had probably been spoiled in the southern heat. So he started opening them.
“There was one bottle, I think a Concannon cabernet, that was absolutely spectacular,” he recalled. “A lot of that wine had sat in our accelerated aging system and reached perfection.
“So there’s no single optimal temperature for aging wines. I’d tell people who don’t keep wine for decades to forget about cellar temperatures. Take those big reds and put them on top of the refrigerator, the most heat-abusive place you can find, and in three years they’ll probably be at their peak.”

What a load of piffle :slight_smile:

Priceless link, thank you. Highly entertaining :slight_smile:

You are welcome. But on what grounds do you think of it as piffle?

Well, that’s for me to know and for you to find out. Here’s a hint for you, though: the earth is flat, Giordano :slight_smile:.

Well, I should have known better than to ask you for something you cannot possibly provide.

You should have known better than to ask yet another silly question. Besides, no bloody way for you to ever really, demonstrably know whether it’s “cannot” or “will not”, is there?

Of course there is.

(Anders, just in case you didn’t get it, which you probably didn’t, that last sentence in my previous post is entirely rhetorical. I know that you think that you know :slight_smile: )

Of course my foot :slight_smile:

Please, for God’s sake, just don’t ask me on what grounds I am referring to my foot…

I realize that you intended it to be rhetorical, that is, make a point rather than elicit an answer. What you didn’t get is that my reply shows it to fail its mission.

Now could you please, out of consideration for other parties, stop posting off topic.

Close the voting. We have a winner for post of the year!!!

Your reply shows sweet FA to anyone but you. As for “consideration for other parties”, I don’t know about you, but, when I am here, I talk to actual people, not “parties”. “Consideration”, on the other hand… now that’s your strong suit. Must be why you have alienated a record number of otherwise perfectly reasonable and pleasant people here in no time at all: they just wouldn’t see reason and you were far too “considerate” to just drop it and go back to your pram. As for being on/off-topic, that’s also to some extent in the eye of the beholder: as I said elsewhere, I consider most of your “contributions” to be a pure waste of bandwidth, so, there you go.

And now, Anders, be a sport and let’s stop posting off-topic as of this very minute. You lead by example.

I always ‘Audouze’ older Rhone, Burgundy, Rioja, Aussie wines and Bordeaux but I decant Barolo and Barbaresco. You cannot kill aged Nebbiolo with too much air. Even 60 and 70 year old Barolo and Barbaresco needs 8-12 hours in a decanter to really shine.

Good info.

Apparently, opinion varies a bit even when it comes to older Nebbiolo:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/drinking_and_dining/19204/to-decant-or-not-to-decant.html

'I recently visited Bruno Rocca, a noted Barolo producer who was very particular on the subject. “Decanting is a double-edged sword. The important thing is to get the right glass. Young wines, never decant. Nebbiolo goes through phases in the glass and part of the pleasure is to taste those phases.”

Before I knew it we were in the middle of a fierce family debate, conducted in Italian and in English with an awful lot of gesturing and ending in heated agreement.

“No,” said his daughter Luisa. “Open the bottle, leave it a couple of hours, no problem.”

Bruno: “Older wines, never. They need to be served right away, because they have no protection and will start oxidizing. Never mind the theatre of the decanter, you don’t need it.”

Luisa: “Yes, this is what I said.”’