Top Taster on CellarTracker

Does anybody here know BurgundyAl ?

In regards to the first post (before things escalated) I am glad to read other people’s tasting notes on CT or on shelf-talkers. I am always going to distrust most shelf-talkers by the fact that many sources are either property of specific distribution companies (ie Tasting Institute of Hoboken) or ridiculously obscure (Biloxi Women’s Auxiliary).

I read tasting notes on an individual basis of merit, wherein the descriptors speak for themselves. Does the taster use vivid, sensory-driven notes, or merely numbers and vague terms like “great”? I was a literary criticism major, so I will liken the valuation of tasting notes along the lines of Postmodernism criticism, rather than the Structuralist interpretation of Claude Levi - Strauss or Northrup Frye.

He’s a local. While I’ve not met him, I know that Keith and others have.

Me too. Well, it was about a year ago, but still weird.

WARNING: Thread drift:

Must be a small tasting group. You should come to one of our attorney oenophiles tasting and networking group meetings. Just think of the wine you would get with 40 egos who do not want to be embarrassed among their professional colleagues.

I’m happy for retailers to use my notes if that helps them let their customers know what the wine is like. My notes are an honest reflection of what I tasted, so it’s a bonus if they are useful. I’m only aware of it happening twice.

Amusingly an ITB friend was thinking about buying some mature (non-classed growth) Bdx and thought they ought to see what the interwebz had to say. Top of the search results were a couple of TNs I’d posted on Cellartracker.

I never append a score, and that indeed would be even more of a nonsense than the pro critics who at least have a documented scale (even if the ratings don’t always reflect the stated scale!!)

Not sure how many notes you post on CT, but I can’t recall your name on tasting notes that I’ve looked at. Are you really a supertaster?

I post under an alias. Just like some people here. deadhorse [wink.gif]

It is also only for one producer, not all of CT. You may have missed that in my original post.

He is very active here in the Chicago wine community, and more relevant, exceedingly knowledgable about all things Burgundy. I put lots of stock in his notes.

Back in the days before I changed my cellar tracker handle to my real name…Chateau Musar posted my tasting note on the 1995 Red to their webpage. That was absolutely bragging rights in my tasting group…