Top 5 restaurants in Atlanta?

Mark,

If you do go, I’d suggest an earlier in the evening reservation…and I’d suggest booking soon as it has a tendency to fill up.

Thanks, Michael.

Michael- how would you compare the pizza at Antico to Varasano’s ? My brother is a big fan of Antico. He also just told me about The Real Fix in Roswell( owned by the Salt/Little Alley group). Suppose to be right up there with Antico.

thanks

I prefer Varasanos
(note - They have one at the airport, Concourse A, that might be better than original location, smaller menu but more consistent).

The crust/bread at Varasano’s is thinner, more sourdough-ish, and less puffy on crusts.

Varasano’s pizzas are smaller (but cheaper) (more personal sized versus Antico’s share-size).

Antico is a really fun environment and more of an experience than Varasano’s, share/communal tables, vibrant environment, etc…

Some fun Antico articles…the owner is a trip…

Kidnapping -

Labor Violations -

I have not been to The Real Fix - but some other options up towards Roswell are -

Campania - http://www.campaniaga.com/
850 F Bar Pizza - http://www.850fbarpizza.com/

I went to antico for a work lunch during my trip. Good pizza and fun environment. Lots of people chowing down on the huge pizzas. I probably prefer a different style of crust (prefer a crispier thin crust) but Antico was solid. Wouldn’t mind going back.

Cary,

You would prefer Jeff Varsano’s place if you like the thin crusts.

Don- went to Woodfire Grill last week and ate at the bar. Food was solid and loved the wines being offered from Coravin. Had a real nice 07 Chassagne-Montrachet from Puligny and a solid but very young 05 Corton from Dubreuil.

We’ve got a meeting for work next week at the W in Midtown and i need to find a spot for 25. I’m probably going to go with either Miller-Union or JCT Kitchen depending on final menu and budget.

I really enjoyed the duck a la presse at King + Duke in Buckhead. Cocktails there were pretty solid, as well. Easy to use Uber to get there/back (circular drive off the main street).

http://clatl.com/atlanta/pressed-duck-at-king-duke/Content?oid=11174553

Went to Varasano’s today in Buckhead and had a buddy eat at their airport location yesterday. Terrific pizza unlike we have in Florida. Closest I’ve had was at Oenetri in Napa. Highly recommend and I hear the airport location is doing great things as they have cut down on the menu.

Don- did you see they are opening one at Perimeter Mall ?

Michael- not sure what part of town you live in but I saw that Varasano’s is opening a location in Perimeter Mall. I had a chance to visit the location in Atlanta and agree I like those slightly better. A little smaller and a great little place in the Airport.

Once opened that will be the closest location to me. Varasano’s will be the only place serving that style of pizza in that area (Perimeter Mall area) which will be a nice addition to the neighborhood…Hopefully it will be somewhat easy to deal with at the mall and not a cluster…but who knows with them opening in fall of this year (FYI - Christmas at that mall is horrendously busy).

On the way to Atlanta. Sushi at Umi tonight, then Miller Union, Aria, 4th and Swift and BoccaLupo over the next 5 nights. Should be fun!

Great line up Mark. Go to Terminal A and get a pizza from Varansano’s ! Michael was spot on.

BoccaLupo was fantastic - both food and cocktails. Only note I’d have is consider Uber, rather than a taxi. We got stranded there for 45 mins after dinner and you aren’t walking anywhere from there.

First night in Atlanta. It’s all downhill from here. I went to Umi, a Japanese restaurant in the Buckhead area. I made it despite my cab driver not knowing where he was (ever hear of GPS?). I sat at the sushi bar, with an employee on his day off with his young son on the right and an entrepreneurial couple on my left. Great conversation. I had the premium omakase course and it was heaven. I would not have expected the freshness of ingredients in Atlanta vs West coast. The artisanship was amazing, with so many different flavors. It was art. The green tea soufflé was incredible and topped off a great evening. I’ve never been to Japan but this was the best sushi I’ve ever had. Wow! Miller Union tomorrow night. Thanks, Michael!

Thursday (and Tuesday) are the delivery days from the Japanese markets for Atlanta.

Happy you enjoyed.

Thanks. Sorry I won’t be able to get to Tomo but had great experience at Umi :slight_smile:

Duplicate post. Not sure how to delete this :frowning:

The fun continues. Last night, good meal at Miller Union. Understated interior, great wait staff. Had shrimp grits, Chestnut ravioli. A fun white wine, 2008 Chateau Simone, a blend of Clairette, with small amounts of Grenache Blanc and Ugni Blanc, and a dash of Bourboulenc, Muscat Blanc, Picpoul, Furmint and Sémillon. Very fun. Tonight, a more elegant trip to Aria. Very tasty white/yellow pumpkin soup with bacon and very nice beef short ribs entree A decadent chocolate de pot for dessert. A fun 2010 l’Oiselet St Chinian red blend of syrah, carignan and grenache. An initial fight of red/black fruits with floral orchid finish. Thanks to sommelier Andres for fun recommendation. 4th and Swift tomorrow night.

Mark, was Andres still pouring Yquem by the glass for dessert? Hard to pass that up and fun to see a restaurant using the Coravin.