TN: Vieux Donjon, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 2001

Fully resolved indeed good sir. Quite so that it is best not to tarry in the consumption of the Old Dungeon. There is little flesh left on the bones, after many years in captivity.

Fully resolved indeed good sir. Quite so that it is best not to tarry in the consumption of the Old Dungeon. There is little flesh left on the bones, after many years in captivity.

David bringing me back to my dungeons and dragons days in the mid 80s! [cheers.gif]

This is my CellarTracker note from today, having last tasted the wine 2/9/2017 (when I also gave it a score of 93):

Score = 93
Purchased upon release and cellared under pristine conditions, this bottle was decanted off of its heavy sediment and serially tasted over the ensuing 3-4 hours. Medium garnet in color, it delivers a package of earth-laced plums, Provençal herbs, baking spices, licorice and black olive tapenade. Medium-bodied, fresh and with fully melted tannins, it stays solid in the middle and concludes with a lengthy, silky-smooth finish. An absolute delight to drink, this Châteauneuf is on plateau or in slow decline. Those holding comparably-cellared bottles will find it to be thoroughly enjoyable. Drink now.

Well you are nothing if not consistent. Glad it showed well for you!

Either that or The Pit of Despair…

(don’t even think about trying to escape)

This wine’s consistency was definitely the result of provenance. My bottles were purchased 6/13/2003 and cellared at 55° F. Sadly, this bottle was the last of my inventory. :frowning:

Colin [cheers.gif]

• 2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/6/2020)
    Walk into an antique shop that also sells dried flowers, and even some old school hard candy sticks. There’s an aroma that is present in every nook and cranny. It’s like a whisper, but always there. In the back there’s a room with some boots, and an old horse saddle. Out the back door is a cherry tree, the fruit starting to fall because it hasn’t been picked. A floor board creaks, and the spell is broken.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Hi David:

I am still sampling this wine, and the dried floral component is definitely present. Plus…I love your creative prose! [welldone.gif]

Colin [cheers.gif]

Hi Ron:

I’ve got this in my glass as I type. Hope you find this to be helpful. [cheers.gif]

• 2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/27/2020)
    Clos des Papes’ 2001 is a blend of 65% Grenache, 20% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and 5% Counoise. This bottle, purchased upon release and cellared in pristine fashion, was decanted and allowed one hour of aeration prior to sampling over the ensuing two hours. Medium garnet in color, it remains flush with kirsch, blood orange, mulling spice, grilled meat and Provençal herb aromas. Medium-bodied, freshly acidic, seamlessly alcoholic (14%) and with melted tannins, it has flavors which mirror the aromas…all presented without any rough edges. Solid on the mid-palate and lengthy on the back end, this mature Châteauneuf delivers impressive depth and complexity at what is clearly its apogee. Drink now. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Opened another bottle tonight. I see no reason to update my December 2020 note. Open a bottle and fall under its spell.

1 Like