TN: Spanish Garnacha Blanca - wow

This one not so much, just a touch of citrus rind. Maybe not much pressings in final wine? Quite textural though.

It doesn’t have to taste that way, my friend :slight_smile: One must know how to deal with it!!!

What kind of white riojas are you buying? There’s tons of good ones for $10-20 and even ldh is 20-30.

Cheers for the note Kent. Sounds like a white that would suit my palate and the price point is definitely good. I reckon I’ll grab a 3 pack and give it a go!

Hi Times charges $40 for the 2003 ldh tondonia blanco, according to wine searcher. And it’s worth it, I think. Hey man, let me know which riojas you recommend and where to pick em up. I am totally game at $10-20 if it’s been recommended.

Good work Andrew. I hope that you enjoy it. It is nice to take a detour every now and then.

Sure sounds like white I could get into…as I tuck into a Roussanne from the CdR.

There are bottles of ldh gravonia for $20-25.

There are interesting 100% young viuras from cvne, puelles, and vivianco for $10 and marques de murietta blanco is about $20. The laventura is an interesting one for $20 as well.

Just note that many of the wines being mentioned here are not Grenache Blancs or even dominated by that grape. Just an FYI . . .

Cheers.

Three pack is en route Kent! I’ll chime back in once I’ve had a look.

Kent - it’s probably better-known in the US as being from the S Rhone, but there are a few of them in Spain, since Garnacha is originally from Aragon. Therefore there’s a lot in Cariñena of course, and in other places relatively nearby, like Monstant, Priorat, Navarra, etc.

You have to be careful with it though because it can be really flabby. When you taste along side say, an Albariño from Rías Baixas, the latter often had more acidity and zip. We used to import a few that were pretty good, but you have to choose carefully. It is often blended, particularly with Macabéo, and I think that’s what gives it the bitter notes people mentioned - it’s a telltale quality of Macabéo to have a slightly bitter finish. The Tondonia is nothing like a representative version though.

As far as labeling laws, the wine has to comply with the requirements of the local DO as well as the general Spanish and EU rules. If you’re importing, it has to be at least 75% to have a monovarietal designation, but not for blends - you can put the varieties on the label as percentages or not.

I haven’t had a lot of these grapes as California iterations, so can’t say much about how they do here as opposed to Spain, but people will figure it out.

This variety actually shows good acidity here in CA relative to the Rhone - the grapes are usually picked with pHs in the 3.1-3.3 range in my area.

Cheers.

Get the Remelluri Rioja from Spain if you can. A mostly Garnacha Blanca blend that is absolutely delicious. Pricy at $80 CDN but totally worth it.

Greg,
Thanks for the info. I actually had a Grenache blanc from south of France a couple of nights ago, will need to check details. Was a bit less tensile than this wine, with a hint of RS on the back end. Pretty decent nevertheless.
Cheers,
Kent

It’s usually blended there too, and often used in fortified wine in places like Rivesaltes. I’m going to check out a few from CA this weekend - it would be interesting to see the dif Larry describes, which is a bit of a turnaround from the stereotype of CA vs European wine.

Kent, thanks for the recommendation. I looked at a bottle of this last night and my experiences were very similar to yours. Nose opens with melon and stone fruits. Palate is taunt, integrated, well balanced, medium length and finishes with a nice acidic/dry finish. To me there’s nothing out of place and it’s perfectly aligned with my palate preferences. Excellent food wine too, abv only 13%. I reckon I’ll have a chat with my SO and put a case order in and follow your lead re the house staple. This would be great with seafood in summer I suspect. It paired very well with the chicken and leek pie we had last night.

Good looking out Kent! [cheers.gif]

And???

Glad you liked it Andrew. Always concerns me when people actually take my recommendations!

And???

Aha - he checked in on the thread!

Came back to see you a couple times but missed you. Didn’t have much Grenache Blanc actually, but as you suggested, Epiphany’s was good. We were a little limited because one guy had medical issues and the others were jet lagged. Your rosé was, as expected, the one to beat and nobody in the neighborhood really did so. I did find a couple places I didn’t know - Kaena made a good rosé from Grenache - very crisp and without that bubblegum note that some of the poorer examples show. And The Story of Soil was totally unexpected - I figured I’d get a load of BS but they were completely unpretentious and had good wines - their Grenache was tart, not jammy, and a real surprise. It actually reminded me of something from Priorat with the acidity backing up the fruit. I’m going to stay in touch with them.

And of course, your wines were across the board as expected. Had the Marsanne just last night matter of fact. It seems to have more weight than many whites. As some of my companions put it, a white for red lovers.