TN: PYCM 2014 St. Aubin PC Les Champlots

Agreed Martin, bought half a case of the JM Vincent Beaurepaire (I think) - yummo

I like PYCM, but to me there is a definite signature to the wines that includes both a lot of material and a particular oak signature. However, my experience is limited to the lower tiers of his wines and 2013-2014, so clearly a limited, and perhaps meaningless, sampling. I’ll keep buying but they’re atypical from what I normally look for which is also more of a Chablis-style, or at least very clean and sharp whites.

@m. Ristev,
It should be great to have you one day in my cellar, to show you our work in vineyards and cellar. The way we are working is absolutely not the “caricature” you want to give to me and my team work. We ( my team and my family ) are giving so much energy for our work, and do so
many sacrifice to make the more natural and authentic wines we can make. I am very disappoint that you don’t understand our wines and the way we make them. I hope you will understand my very approximative English, but I am sure you will understand that someone who spend most of his time in both vineyards and cellar can have a low level of English. We are working with a lot of respect for all the generation of growers who worked so hard before us. Always. Best. PY

Sad to see winemakers show up here only to defend their work against defamation…

In any case, thanks PY, for making these statements. I hope to come and visit you some time.
I’m writing this as I am sipping a glass of your wonderful Champlots 2014. Comments on this later…

Pierre-Yves:

Your English is just fine, and much better than the French of most of us on this board, and your post gracious. Welcome.

If you are willing, please tell us why you use the bottles that you do. Is there any chance that you could be persuaded to use a “typical” Burgundy bottle?

I love these wines but also would like a return to typical bottles. Went deep on the '14s and now have to store them separately because the new bottle size doesn’t fit in my racks! [soap.gif]

As promised, here my thoughts on the wine, which turned out to be not one of the best by PYCM I have drunk. But I did not find it opulent and lacking in acidity at all.

• 2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Les Champlots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (23.02.2017)
    PnP then drunk over two evenings.
    Light yellow, with a green tinge, clear.
    Strongly reductive, so much that every pour, until day two, needed to breathe about 15-20 minutes before getting clean. After that, some ripe white fruit, with cold, herbal and rocky notes emerges.
    The palate is somewhat light, and only slowly does the acidity build up to give it a certain tension. There is also underlying mineral texture, but the wine is somewhat lacking on the midpalate. Good finish though, lemony, and with a light salinity. Not one of the best PYCM I have had.

Posted from CellarTracker

vos vins sont incroyable–Bienvenue Batard 2008 est la meilleure bouteille de Bienvenue dans mon expérience–et beaucoup d’autres, vos vins–j’en ai beaucoup.

I didn’t completely follow what Alan said, but the 2009 Bienvenue Batard is righteous stuff too.

My advice with PYCM is if you don’t like it the first time, keep trying! I had a six pack of the 2013 Bourgogne and another six on pre-arrival. The first two bottles were underwhelming, so I canceled the pre-arrival order. Then the bottles just got better and better, and by the last one I was really regretting the cancellation! By that time I had missed my window to buy the 2014 too :angry:

Craig, remind me, I can bring one of each to our next dinner.