TN: Night two: No more rain but a lot more Rousseau - a story of Fred's birthday in Orange County

I don’t think a Chave would have been appropriate at this dinner unless he wanted to add it along with a Rousseau :wink:

Nice set of wines guys.

Would have loved the '89 Beze to put alongside the '89 Chamby (fab wine) when we did our Rousseau dinner last year.

Might have been a slight problem with the '93 Beze, as our '93 Chambertin showed really well (if young).

d’Ambonnay would be nice if it was say $500, but at $3k plus (cost here), I don’t get it. Still, fun to try though.

I think there was an issue with the 93 beze. We’re gonna drink a 93 chambertin next month tho flirtysmile flirtysmile

I, too, was underwhelmed by the 93, have had it before and have been stunned.

My '93 Chambertin I had cellared for at least 15 years and had bought it from someone who had purchased it on release, so I knew the provenance was good…

Only problem was it really needed another 15-20 years!

Paul, if you had to compare the 93 to a more recent vintage, what vintage would that be?

Hard to say as '93 is a bit unique in that some wines look old(er), and some still look young and primary. It also seems to be pretty producer specific, and (from what I have seen), much better at the top.

Not sure how much you can attribute to storage though, as I don’t really have multiple bottles of any '93’s that I can look at to confirm this.

As for a similar vintage hmm. Maybe '01 but a bit more red fruit? Sweetness but with structure and tannins, silky. A bit of that '10 all around structure and balance (in the better wines).

On the couple of times that I’ve had the beze alongside the chambertin, I’ve preferred the chambertin. The beze is more structured, as I found it again at this time…but the chambertin is pure ‘iron fist in a velvet glove’…just a beautiful wine.