TN: A Haiku for Allemand 2011 Cornas Chaillot

The Sans Soufre has a reputation for going bad, which makes sense for bottles that haven’t seen pristine transport and storage. I haven’t personally experienced one, but I’ve heard from enough people who have.

While I haven’t ever had a brett-y bottle of Chaillot or Reynard, almost all my bottles have come through Kermit and reliable retailers, and gone straight to locker storage.

+1.

Have had various from early 90’s vintages.

A recent 2004 was gorgeous and brett free.

True, but reduction can sometimes be mistaken for brett (reduction can take many forms). A good way to distinguish is to give the wine some air…reduction will recede/disappear, brett won’t.

I’ve had a fair number of bottles of Allemand, and none showed brett fortunately. This includes a 6 pack of 99 Chaillot that had a scary amount of ullage…bought at auction, ullage disclosed but actual amt was higher, got it for a song tho and all the bottles showed extremely well and no brett. Also had 2 bottles of San Souffre, neither had brett (one was good but very tight/young, the other was older and wasn’t an appealing bottle tho not clearly flawed). But all my bottles were prior to 05, so not very current info…sorry.

You sir are correct! English is such an unusual language. I need to refresh my syllable count with words ending with “y”…

Agreed, I think it may have been an off bottle. I think the 11 Chaillot is generally drinking really well right now for a young Allemand.

Thanks to all. I have another bottle from another source. Fingers crossed. Will report back.

Haiku or boo hoo…I think for me boo hoo is better, as I made the decision to pass on the 2014s this week. Both Chaillot and Reynard over $150 now on release here in the US, and the nagging expectation that these be aged, I’m just not feeling it to spend $300+ for both (or 2X, to get a few of each). It’s a real bitch to admit this, as the 1999 Allemand Chaillot I opened for the gang here back in December was so fresh and vibrant for nearly 20 years old.

I’m still liking the idea of an occasional backfill of older vintages for something special, but to keep building a vertical forward doesn’t make sense any more.

I have been enjoying many bottles of both wines starting long ago (1996 vintage) and never had an off bottle
These are pure wines
Is it really 150$ now?

Claus, I didn’t keep the release email from Envoyer this week, but what is sticking in my head is the Chaillot at $149 and the Reynard $169, both in USD. There are a # of Envoyer customers in the forum here, so I assume someone will see this and correct me. I am fairly sure Chaillot was not less than $150, for sure not Reynard.

S##t, how long before Jamet begins to climb through the pricing ladder and go out of reach?

Fixed.

Envoyer was selling Chaillot for $145 and Reynard for $170. It took every ounce of willpower not to buy a couple of the Reynard despite the price hike (I resisted only because I bought '14 Angerville Ducs and '14 Foillard 3.14 from Envoyer the same day…)

Wow
I just checked WineSearcher for prices in Europe but they are also that prohibitive
Is this pricing based on expectations on future rarity?

Thanks for cleaning up my #, Ryan.

Alfert will take all your remaining bottles :slight_smile:

I don’t know, but iirc the prices shot up steeply post 2005/2006 vintage. My last vintage purchase was 2010 and that’s about when local Reynard pricing became greater than $100 at release here in the US (@ winesearcher).

Allemand, in my opinion, is truly an excellent Northern Rhone producer and will likely, if not already, share the similar stage as Chave and Jamet, among the living and active ones. Hence, in my mind, the up-shot in pricing is simply tied-in with the product’s alignment with the best in Northern Rhone.

So who then is the next Allemand/Chave/Jamet/Clape for 1/3-1/2 the price??

From recent experience…96 and 13 Chaillot both show brett…but I thought it showed nicely that way…96/13 Reynard were very clean…as was the 11 Sans Soufre…

I don’t mind a bit of brett…I think of often adds to a wine rather than detract.

I guess if you think about it, the Reynard not being bretty makes sense as I doubt he could do a Sans Soufre if so…

Drank the Reynard 2011 last night - just a fantastic bottle of wine - not a single wrong tone

I have a question for those with a lot of Allemand experience, as I have very little (and very little N. Rhone experience for that matter).

I recently had my first Allemand, a 2012 Chaillot, and thought it was drinking really, really well right out of the gate. Very open and, while it would no doubt age well, it was drinking great young. Last night I had a 2011 Reynard, and it was much tighter and even a bit disjointed. I decanted, and it ultimately spent 3+ hours in the decanter, which helped, but it never really seemed to open up. I could see the potential, and this was still a very good wine by any measure, but just not nearly as open and giving as the 2012 Chaillot was.

So my question is whether you all think these different experiences are a result of vineyard or vintage (or both)? Is Chaillot typically more giving when young compared to Reynard? Or is this more of a product of vintage (2012 vs. 2011)? I want to explore these wines a little more, and am curious in your thoughts on differences between the vineyards, recent vintages, etc.