TN: 2014 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Skinner Stoney Creek Vineyard

Damn. Thst s really cool Hardy. Thanks for sharing.

Excuse my ignorance…but when you say ‘block’…roughly how much area does that cover? So in that first shot for instance, how much is yours (probably hard to describe…but id be super interested to hear how that shakes out)

Thanks, Rich.
A block is just a section of a vineyard (it can be any size). The first shot is technically 2 blocks of Mourvèdre- separated by clone- To the left of the car is one clone (you can see it is further ahead/ more green in the opening shot) , and to the right of the car another. We get a little less than 1/2 of each block and they are usually picked about 5-7 days apart (the left side picked first). At the 10sec mark (overhead shot), you can see all the rows of both Mourvèdre blocks.

Thanks Harvey! Yep, I was just curious how much your block consisted of in those videos, so that’s perfect. Appreciate the breakdown.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any go-to food pairings for these SVD D&R’s? Most Mourvèdre that I’ve had in the past is a bit bigger, more hearty, less “joy-in-a-bottle” :slight_smile:

These wines tend to mostly be lighter than say Bandol or just about any other Mourvedre you have had.

Frankly, you can drink them with just about anything, except maybe delicate fish dishes. They are remarkably versatile.

We were thinking of opening a 2013 D&R Antle Mourvedre but based on some recent feedback decided to let it live for another day.
Instead we opened a 2014 D&R Mourvedre Skinner Stony Creek and it did not disappoint. Double decanted back in the bottle for 90 minutes prior to pouring.

This has the D+R aromatics in spades, red fruit, rose petals with some violet nuance. If ever a wine aroma should be trademarked this is it, especially since its in 95% of Hardy’s reds:). Flavors of ripe red raspberry and black cherry. Make no mistake, the fruit is plenty ripe yet the acidity compliments it perfectly. There is also a stony metallic note that helps keep this very fresh. Tannins are present but are ripe just like the fruit. Good stuff.
Nice match with a grilled pork chop glazed with bourbon, brown sugar, soy sauce and Dijon mustard.

Tom

I pulled one to go with steaks last night:

2014 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Skinner Stoney Creek Vineyard - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (4/11/2018)
Not a towering example of complexity, but intensely satisfying as the sum is greater than the whole of its parts with bright red fruitiness, some herbal savoriness, and a lip-smacking tartness on the finish. (92 pts.)