TN: 2014 Chateau Canon - my first of the 2014s [Senejac, then Capbern, added]

Robert:

I rarely drink young cabernet based wines. When looking for the younger wine experience I usually open a Zin or a USA Syrah or USA Pinot. Most of my cellar is French and roughly 80% of the wines are from vintages prior to 2000. Right now I am drinking Bordeaux from 88/89/96/97.

I find 2001s and 2004s much better to drink right now than 2002s or 2003s. Probably always will. Maybe if you blended a 2002 (which does not have enough fruit for me) with a 2003 (which does not have enough acidity for me), the blend would taste better. [cheers.gif] If I am going to drink really young Bordeaux, it would more likely be something like this Tasting of Wines from the Crus Bourgeois du Medoc - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers than a classified Bordeaux. These wines were actually pretty nice “week-night” wines if priced right.

Great notes. Remember tasting this is USG Bordeaux in Jan 17. Canon was one of the wines of the evening. Underrated vintage, cool, classic elegant wines; a value buy. Should hit the peak in about 15 years.

This is great to hear – I got a case of .375s of the Senejac because the 2010 is phenomenal now, and the 2014s were about $7.50 a bottle. Should be getting those soon.

I’ve had one 375 each of the 2014 Pontet Canet, Les Carmes Haut Brion, Feytit Clinet, Cantemerle and Lillian Ladouys, and all of them have been delightful. Young, probably stupid to drink now, but each far more approachable than I expected (ok, the Pontet was pretty dull on day one, but by day two it was doing its thing).

I have the Barton and the Mouton, and like both. Some more modern left-bank wines (e.g. Poyferre) came in a little more classic with the vintage conditions, and I like them as well.

Counterpoint: I’ve quite enjoyed a number of 2002 Bordeaux and many are drinking well now (if not really mature still). Definitely a northern Medoc vintage, and on the lighter end of things, but lovely, food friendly wines that have more depth than expected. Of course, it is (or was) the last “cheap” Bordeaux vintage as well, so the QPR is high.

Ha, I just recalled a horrid one, the 2002 Chateau Pape Clemente:

2002 Pape Clement rouge - Meh, not good at all. Wood, char, candied dark fruits.

My suspicion is we of the ox-like palates would dislike the Pape Clement from any vintage around that time!

Here are some 2002’s that I’ve really enjoyed:
Branaire-Ducru
Cos Estournel
d’Issan
Gloria
Leoville-Barton
Leoville Las Cases
Pichon Baron
Pichon Lalande
Sociando Mallet

Oxen and Yaks need salt licks and grass!

Johnny Morris, don’t read this. We like salinity. And grass. But not wood.

This 2014 Senejac is the real deal. A very solid 88-89 point Cru, excellent for everyday. I’m even enjoying it in this youthful phase. Excellent range of reds to darks, crisp acidity, medium body, a cool climate feel to it.

My euphoria caused me to do this . . . .

Bobby, did you find the Cos showing any signs of maturity? Or better to hold on for a few more years?

I thought both the Mouton and Cos showed quite well, a leaner, crisp style of Bordeaux. Surely they will flesh out more and show greater depth, but I really dug the profile. Note sure how many you have, but if more than 1, pop one to enjoy. BTW, I will admit, and tuck my head in shame, to having enjoyed the '03 Cos a few months back at a steak house with big beef, all the fixins, and the other options were over-the-top Cali Cabs. Not my normal profile, but in that company, it worked.

I’ve got 1 each of the '02 and '03. Not in any hurry. Thanks for the input. [cheers.gif]

I’m sure it was real nice. Not all '03s were created equal…timely harvesting key.

At least IMO, 2014 is markedly better in the Northern Medoc, St. Estephe, Pauillac and St. Julien. The further south you go, the wines become more dilute and less generous. There are of course exceptions, but that is where I’d put my money, if I was buying.

I think that sums up about 90% of what I bought. I did grab a couple of Pessacs, but no right banks that I can recall.

So, you do trust me now ?:slight_smile:

The 2014 Calon Segur was impressive in March.

seconding that 2002 is a really nice vintage in a somewhat austere classical style. But they have a sneaky depth to them, they are definitely not rich but they still have real substance.

Also, re release prices…2002s are the only first growths I have, last time they were affordable to a regular person. I got three bottles of Mouton Rothschild for like $95 each on release. Not going to drink them for a while, but I hear Mouton is really good that year.

also got Cos on release for really cheap, so I guessed well that year.

[quote=“Robert Alfert, Jr.”]This 2014 Senejac is the real deal. A very solid 88-89 point Cru, excellent for everyday. I’m even enjoying it in this youthful phase. Excellent range of reds to darks, crisp acidity, medium body, a cool climate feel to it.

Good call. I have this open now, really solid medoc. Anyone try the Lanessan yet?