TN: 2013 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

Have you ever eaten a young unicorn? Densely tannic, restrained fruit, fairly unpleasant even if marinated for a few hours. They need years to come around! I recommend burying it in the way back of your cellar (decomposing unicorns smell like rose petals, in case you didn’t know)…

Managed to snag a couple bottles for $90 each. Still 50% more than what I’m used to paying but got caught up in the hype.

My usual Italian wine source had it for sale for $230, which was extremely annoying, though I guess he has to make money when/as he can too…

Yup. I was having a similar conversation in the 2013 Bartolo thread. We’ve been buying Burlotto wines (most of them) ever since we started collecting Barolo. At first, we felt that Barolo was still “undiscovered” so some of the best wines were still available at great prices. Seems like those days are nearing an end. I blame the 2010 vintage.

Since this thread “popped up” again, just to add a point similar to Kevin’s above, or mine in Thierry’s 2012 Bartolo Mascarello thread.

This is an excellent young wine but I opened 2010s and 2011s early and I would rate them similarly to the 2013. I think I would rate the 2010 marginally ahead.

The point is of course how do they come out in 10-20 years, and we only get a glimpse of that opening these bottles this young. Even more reason, I’d say, to be a little cautious about the hype around (supposedly) great vintages of wines like this, well made every year by great producers from great sites.

Agree 100% with Howard’s take. We had the 2013 last night off the list at Publican Anker thanks to board member, Bret Heiar. The 2013 was quite good, but I don’t think it was materially better than the 2010, 2011 or 2012 versions I also tasted young. Where it goes and whether it’s worth today’s price is another matter. I’ll still buy some when offered, as I think Burlotto (and Barolo generally) prices are going to continue to escalate.

did this wine go up in price like 100% in the last bit??!

More like a 200% increase.

just this one? or all burlottos?
and what drove that? a bottle i bought for like 55 a year or two back is showing as 125 on wb… that’s nuts!

this is false, you can see the price increase upthread. if retailers are asking a lot for it, then that’s on them; the cost of the wine has not increased substantially.

retailers greed…and telling how many of them really respect Galloni’s 100 point score. Maybe this is telling…if Parker had the 82’s in Bordeaux maybe Galloni gets the 13’s in Piedmont. Either way…it’s a shame to see this trend…as it continues to feed the “gotta buy it now” that half of us already have.

The retailer hype on the '13s is really never ending!

Greatest thing since sliced cheese!

Does get old, though.