TN: 2012 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

Yep, this sums it up for me. I love the acid/spicy thing it has going on.

It’s also OK if Beau doesn’t like it, more for us. [cheers.gif] The only question I’d ask is related to what others said…are you drinking 2012 Burgs and Oregon pinots already? If so, then the assessment is fair. If you are cellaring your Burg/Ore PN’s, then it doesn’t make sense to be judging this one yet. I like these young, but I like them a lot better 2 years after receiving them.

I wait at least a year before drinking the RM Sonoma Coast pinots and at least two years sometimes more on the single vineyard wines. Just tried an '11 SC and it was very good. Works for me.

Wow, I’m always surprised by how early some people open there wines. I’m still working my way through my 97 Cabs!

Typically, I’ll try one pretty soon after release to gauge whether worth deep-sixing for 3-5 yrs, or whether to put away for 1-2 or just consume. For me, this is a consume in 1-2 yrs, though if I had a case, would likely hang on to a few to pull out in 5+ yrs. I like to see how wines evolve and part of that is to baseline when possible. For those where I can only get a couple bottles (typically SVDs), just have to deep-six and hope for the best (while monitoring for TN’s on this site, of course).

Precisely!

What 1er is $25? That’s what I thought.

I received mine in early March and they went straight into the cellar. So no, it’s not a bit early.

I had multiple people recommending this wine and telling me it was the best QPR wine in California…so I figured I’d also take a shot. I have 3 more bottles to go and will be burying them for several years to see how/if they evolve into a more coherent wine.

FWIW the 91 on CT is, to me, ridiculous and indicative of groupthink.

Have you not had one before? I haven’t had the 12 yet, but if it’s not a 91, it’ll be my first RM SC that isn’t.
If you’re right, I’m glad I didn’t get my wished for extra bottles.

I think you nailed it, Alan. A couple of people in our little group did like this wine, but my note was based on my own experiences and comparisons to other CA pinots that I’ve tasted, 2012 and otherwise. The price is certainly attractive too, no lie.

You seem a bit worked up. I’m not sure I understand the argument that because the wine is $25, it should be drunk young. I have lots of Barolo in the $25-$30 range I wouldn’t open 2 years from vintage. Not sure why this is different.

I hadn’t had one before, nope.

A 91 points, to me, means that this wine is truly exceptional. If I score a wine that high, it usually means I wish I had a case, that I feel it is drinking above its price point, and that I feel it’s better than 91 percent of all wines in its category.

I think people who are offended by my score are not understanding what an 83 means. It means that I didn’t hate the wine and still believe it’s reasonably good, so good in fact that it’s clearly above average (which a 70 point score would be).

For those who say Beau opened this too early, what do you think will happen to it with time? I’m on Beau’s side here. I don’t think it will turn into a wine I like. I’m thrilled so many love it, but it’s not surprising that it’s not for everyone.

Michael

or… people just like different wines from you. I drink a shit-ton of burgundy and have about as burgundy of a palate as it gets and I still think the RM Sonoma Coast is one of the best QPRs for domestic pinot out there. Do you have another rec for a really good $25 domestic pinot?

I’ve had the 2012 Sonoma Coast last week, it didn’t fit the profile of your note to me at all. Granted it had about 9 hours of air time before I touched it and could have been a completely different wine.

Tough call. I had a couple of tasty Siduri pinots last year that were around $25-28. Truth be told, I rarely go to CA to drink pinot noir anymore. My knowledge of what’s out there in the bargain (sic) price point is not what it used to be. I would nod to Sandler as well, but they’re right at $30 for Berserker Day.

Good question, Scott. I am drinking what’s available. Up here, a lot of 2011’s (which I love) are still available but I’ve been tasting through some 2012’s and thoroughly enjoying them. On Saturday I tasted some 2012’s from Winderlea and Domaine Drouhin that were quite good. I don’t have any 2012 red Burg in yet, still waiting for it to arrive. Most of the wines (Burgundy) that I’ve purchased though are ones with a commonly held consensus in favor of aging for several years. [cheers.gif]

Patricia Green Estate might be my favorite, but there are plenty of options north of the border.

Michael

Not at all, debate is fun and one of the reasons why I love Wineberserkers. I’m not the one who brought the $25 into the argument though, hence my question of finding 1er Cru Burgundy (red) at that price point. There are some less-famous areas of Burgundy doing them, yes, and I’ve always drunk them relatively young.

Comparing Barolo to California Pinot Noir seems weird, what is your point? Which Barolos are released two years after vintage anyways?

For $25 I’d be going to Oregon every time. Patricia Green (as someone pointed out), Haden Fig, Evesham Wood, Elk Cove, Grochau Cellars, Helioterra, Seven of Hearts.

As I mentioned before, I have 3 more R-M 2012’s to sit on and I’ll check it out in a year or two. It could very well resolve into a beautiful wine. The bottle I had tasted like it had a post-fermentation pH adjustment done to some very ripe, rich fruit. The other winemakers tasting thought so too.

My point is drinking a wine too young is a bad idea. My Barolo comparison was in response to the argument or suggestion that because it’s “only $25,” it shouldn’t be cellared. Maybe a bad comparison.

Glad you’re not worked up. You basically insulted everyone who rated this 91 points which is part of the reason I asked, but Charlie addressed that already.

Also, this has been addressed before, but I question someone’s ability to discern acid addition. I question even more someone’s claim to be able to identify when it happened.