TN: 2012 Éric Texier Côte-Rôtie Vieilles Vignes

Second day, this wine is singing. A very approachable young VV.

Love how refreshing, tangy, deep this wine is showing. I have no clue how Texier Côte Roties ages, but this wine is drinking really well right now.

I drank a bottle (yes, the whole bottle) of the 2012 last night and can confirm that it is as delicious as others have said.

Resuscitating the ole Texier CR thread: popped a 2005 Tex CR on Monday. Gave it about 45 mins in the decanter, was singing through. Not at peak, but getting closer. The nose was really pretty and it was quite resolved but not truly secondary. On the spectrum of floral to rustic, it tilts more towards the later but has loosened up since last I had it (a few years ago). Consistently great value. Still haven’t popped any of the 12s.

Thanks for the update. All I have left is 1 magnum of the 2005. I think I need to wait a few more years. I had a 2001 a couple of weeks ago that was perfectly resolved and vividly perfumed. More on the pretty than the rustic side, but with a peaking seam of sauvage.

Your note is one of the reasons I jumped on buying the 2001 at $55/btl last weekend. Bottles are now on the way.

Great score. I think I paid nearly that on release. Need to dig one out of the cellar soon.

Good on the 2001. We had a 2001 Eric Texier cote rotie VV last weekend in a big Cote Rotie tasting. It was a really nice wine, drinking really, realy well, but not yet showing strong tertiary notes.

Not sure if I had a “off-bottle” - but it certainly seemed proper - but the showing today of this CR was way too much on the sweet-tart, acidic side. Lots of citrus blood fruits but just not much else going on. A disappointment.

Thanks for the note RA. I looked over these a few weeks ago but endeavored to wait for a check-in and probably a few more years…curious if others have have awkward tastes as well.

8 years old seems like the wrong time to be drinking Cote Rotie?

Generally I would concur, but 2012 seems pretty open knit for Northern Rhône. I could be totally wrong in this one, but surprisingly, it drank well out of the gates.

Has anyone popped a '12 Tex CRVV recently?
My sense is to wait a few more years but am curious if anyone has indulged since Lord Alfert.

I did - it was not in a good place.

Close up? Off?

Just vacant really and had shed a lot of its pigment too. Don’t want to speculate on matters of chemistry but whether it will fulfill its potential might turn on the amount of sulfur it got, or didn’t get, as the case may be.

I had one in October 2019, but didn’t take a note. I have no memory of it being problematic. Faryan should open one a report back…

As I recall, Eric is not sulfur-averse.

He has in the past criticized some producers who claim to be sulfur-free but magically end up having sulfur in their finished wines. But he has also said of some of his wines that they did not get sulfur because they didn’t need it. I don’t know the situation with this particular wine.

I was recalling the first part.

I bought a bottle after Keith’s first post raving about it years ago. Drank it as soon as it came then bought 6 more, which have gone unopened. I’ll check in on one soon.

1 Like