TN: 2011 Vajra - Langhe Nebbiolo

It sounds like you just prefer these with a year or two of extra bottle age after release. I put away the Vajra 09 and 11 for that reason, but most of the wines in my post above are pretty drinkable now with food. But nebbiolo always needs food to shine. Whether you like them straight out on release or with a couple more years is just a matter of taste. (I find that’s true with the better Bourgognes, too. They need at least a couple of years to show well.)

I agree – Etna satisfies the same need for me. But the region and the nerello mascalese yield a kind of warmth of fruit and somewhat softer tannins, at least in the lower end wines.

There are values to be had in most regions. The guys in the know about the region know where to find them. The person who does not spend the time of the region does not. True for Burgundy, true for Piedmont, true for most regions. On the other hand, I don’t know of any region where one can just buy blindly by category or appellation and get consistently good wines.

Hi Noah
I presume you’re thinking of Rovellotti Ghemme (the folks based in the centro storico).

I would argue just a little caution w.r.t. Northern Piemonte nebbiolo-led wines. These are often leaner / bonier than Barolo/Barbaresco/Roero and not to everyone’s tastes (but they are very much to mine and some others here). If looking for mini Barolo/Barbaresco I’ll look for good value from the likes of La Ca Nova, Giuseppe Nada etc. or get to know the styles that suit in Langhe Nebbiolo / Nebbiolo d’Alba. I’ve had wonderful base nebbiolo wines from Cascina Saria and Cascina Ballarin in recent years, coming across as somewhat lighter and less structured, but comparatively open and fragrant. Great joy for little money. However if you love a lean/bony wine, then Ghemme, Gattinara, etc. would be a happy hunting ground.

regards
Ian

Ian,

Have you had any Lessonas? There is a wide range of soil types and a wide range in resulting structure across the region, many of the wines are not at all bony.

Hi Oliver
Yes we should always be wary of over-generalisations. I do wonder whether the likes of Sperino are atypical (ditto Le Piane in Boca)? There are exceptions in a number of the regions.
regards
Ian

Sperino is very typical Lessona, very drinkable when young. Some Ghemme is chewy, some not, eg Cantalupo is not (this may be due to the lack of Croatina, which does give some Alto Piemonte wines a rough edge when young). A few years ago the overall quality of winemaking in the area was nowhere near where it is now, which is also a factor. In any case the region is full of forward Nebbiolo or Nebbiolo-based wines that are drinkable when young.

NB I import Cantalupo for my market.

Oliver tells me/reminds me that Roero nebbiolo can be labelled as Nebbiolo d’Alba or as Roero.

Thread drift, but I pooped the 2013 Lange Rosso last night.
Cost me all of $15, probably cheaper in more competitive markets.
Pure, clean red fruits and still drinking well tonight. Stealing.

Was it bretty, Dennis?

haha good question

Coincidentally, Wednesday night I popped open an 2007 G.D. Vajra Dolcetto d’Alba. It was fairly subtle, but went well with the meal. Not anything I’d go back for but decent for the $18.99 it cost about six years ago. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be around to try the 2104 vintage discussed by Eric above. This thread has made me want to explore a little more into Piedmont wines.

I think I’m missing the joke, but not at all. Super clean. [cheers.gif]

[snort.gif]

The basic Rosso is always good. Mostly Freisa I think but a lot of varieties included IIRC.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Me not spell or read so good.
I’m not editing that.

A 9 year old Dolcetto might be pushing it a bit too much. Unless you are talking about the C & F.