TN: 2010 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain

I recant my previous note. The Wine Spectator issue of May 15, 2006, states that Dunn used Reverse Osmosis in 2002 and 2004. I can’t vouch for other, earlier vintages.

Randy Dunn has no qualms about watering back

This thread motivated me to kill a 2010 last night and I concur with the OP.

I don’t use a number system, but the wine is great, even now.

Compared it to some other well regarded Napa cabs and the Dunn was much more austere (in a good way) with better structure and staying power. More depth, more complexity.

A really nice wine.

Brian:

If you are still looking for the 2010 Dunn HM, Draeger’s has some in stock. I saw some at the store in Danville today. $100 per and there is a 20% discount if you buy a case or more, and I believe all of their wine in stock counts towards the case. $80 for that bottle is not bad!

Thanks,
Ed

I think it’s fair to question whether some of these wines will find balance before they die. Also, I’ve had multiple brett bombs from Dunn. Some people say they’re cleaner now, but I’ve even found more than I want in some recent releases. Add the resulting variability to the super long aging curves (on the Napa as well as the Howell Mt), and you have me not being a buyer. The one really good, ready to drink bottle I had was amazing, but that was only one out of over half a dozen, mostly with quite a bit of age on them.

Count me as agnostic on Dunn Howell Mtn’s aging curve. Both the 87 and the 85 especially were pretty tough in recent years.

That said, I find the Napa bottling much more approachable in general and the 91 and 93 HM are showing well, if in that dry, semi-austere Dunn style.

I used the coravin on a fresh bottle again……this wine is SO good I threw the coravin back in the drawer and popped open the sucker……I’m drinkin the whole thing!
Can’t believe how soft and smooth this wine is…yet firm with structure! I guess that “iron fist, velvet glove” thing applies here? The perfect balance of liqueured berries…not too sweet or cloying…and the dryness and firmness of the exotic wood spices and velvety tannins. The berries are more to the red side….have a wonderful bright cherry sweetness and perfume to them….almost feminine……kind of reminds me of a cab made by Jean-Marie Fourrier! Much love here! flirtysmile

I had 2 very good Dunn experiences recently. The 1984 regular Napa Cab was fully mature, and the 1998 HM was drinking really quite well. Not quite as mature as I might love (but I like old wines), but everyone else thought it had a great balance or primary vs. tertiary notes.

Dumb question, but I wonder will these shutdown soon and for MANY years? I’m shocked the post, maybe it never dawned on anybody to drink a few of these on release then cellar for the long run.