TN: 2007 Educated Guess Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

I ordered this wine at a steakhouse because my wife was covering a big tab and it was the cheapest 07 Napa cab on the menu. I also really liked it, but really liking it and having the balls to stand behind it and post up here like Tex did is a different matter. So, kudos!

After taxes (8.25%) it came to right at $19 a bottle. If I could find it for $14 locally, I would get two more cases.

Just bought a case online @ spec’s $202.38 out the door. It seems to me that 2007 cabs across the board need time this one I will give till friday.

Excellent. Way to let them rest for awhile.

I might have to drive down and get some at that price this weekend.

Hmm, I’ll have to check the specs near my house…or just go downtown.

In a rare occurrence, my local wine shop has this in stock, AND they’re running a special 25% off any matched case sale right now. = $15 per. [cheers.gif] On my way after work…

Let me know if I can help. I live 5 minutes from downtown specs.

Where?

Well’s in Baltimore. Macarthur’s has them in DC for $18 but not sure on stock or case discount.

Cool, thanks. Looks like Schneider’s has it, too, for a couple bucks more, but that’s closer to me.

I remember having the 2005 a few years back and liking it. Winehouse now has these for $16. Will definitely pick up a few.

Ok you guys talked me into getting some of this. If I don’t like it you’re in big trouble.
I’ll serve all of it at the next event here neener

I’ll take whatever you don’t like…at cost of course. neener neener

My turn… and without peeking at Tex’s Notes:

30 minute decant. Opaque nearly to the rim with a thin ruby edge. Body for days; dense & almost syrupy. Black cherries, some eucalyptus, anis, black pepper, a touch of milk chocolate, with a hint of slate or maybe alkaline soil. New oak but without the dill pickle overtones. Lavender after more air. Reminds me off the bat of a much more expensive wine: '05 Two Hands Charlie’s Patch Napa Cab (which is a monster of a wine that requires a very long decant to even be accessible). You can buy three of these for the price of one of those.

Mouth-filling plush tannins with a finish that expands and lingers for 60+ seconds. Mild heat on the back-end initially but goes down smooth and the heat disappears with more air. Despite the syrupy appearance it is not at all syrupy on the palate. Post-taste, it reminds me of an '06 Scully Cab (another monster in need of long decanting). A classy and singularly beautiful wine.

I give points (mostly for my own reference), and I’m of the school that I add points when a wine is an outstanding value (again, this is my own scale). 94 points.

My wife, who kinda likes red wine but doesn’t love it, and yet always gets to sample all of my good stuff, had a taste, and I quote, said “wow, this is delicious” with a big grin and total honesty (and no knowledge of its price or even what it was).

Will vacuum seal the rest and let it sit overnight in the fridge for a day 2 tasting.

Thank you for the reco, Tex!!! [cheers.gif]

One person poured a small taste, but that was it. I poured a 1/2 glass after everyone left to just to see if it had changed at all. It did a little bit, but not for the better, I got a whisper of alcohol.

It was a hard lesson to learn, but really interesting. At $175/bottle it didn’t make me feel all that great to have paid that much for the bottle. It does bring up the age old question of whether any wine is really worth > $100

I think some are, but the odds of disappointment go up by quite a bit. For example, I opened a Sauzet Le Montrachet a few weeks ago that was just stupidly good. $300 and worth every penny. But, face it, over $100 and you really expect to have what score hounds would call a 95 point or higher experience. In other words, it needs to not be just outstanding, but really significantly more than that in some way. Otherwise you think “Well, that was good… really good. But I’ve had wines 1/3 the price that are comparable” and it’s disppointing.

The 07 Educated Guess is a really good Cali Cab. For under $20 it’s going to make a lot of people who’ve spent way more think about whether they’re really getting value for the extra money.

I just bought 3 cases primarily for an upcoming wedding - was told I needed to buy more.

Popped this Tuesday night (see notes above). Intervening events prevented me from having more until Friday night, and then had a little left for last night, too. Both the Friday and Saturday tastings held onto good fruit and flavor. Not as big on the nose but still a great quaff, even after 5 days! Stored vacuum sealed in the fridge throughout. Impressive.

For OC locals, Hi Times ran out, but Amazing Grapes in RSM has it for $16.98. If they run out Dan will ourder you more (as he is for me right now). dan@amazinggrapeswinestore.com

No affiliation (other than shopping ther alot)

It’s back in stock at Hi-Time.

Affiliated!