TN: 2005 Charles Joguet Clos du Chene Vert, Chinon

What vintages?

Recently, 2011 and 2012 - mostly Terroir and Petites Roches.

Popped another, couldn’t resist. Killer stuff, but I have to admit, the scale of these 2005 Joguets is large. These are big, burly, ripe wines. This bottle is showing some dark fruits that the last bottle did not, showing a broad range from red to dark. Showing all of its 13.5% but in balance with the scale. I think my Bordeaux friend Neal Mollen would like this wine.

You’re weak, man. Be sure you save some for your old age. Those things are awesome with 20 years on them.

I am weak indeed. I just scored some more 04s and 05s so felt privileged! Objectively, this wine needs time based on this bottle. The bottle I had in June showed more advancement.

The vineyard Weinlagen

I agree that the '05 Dioterie isn’t showing its best right now. It’s still pretty primary and disjointed at this stage, with the oak needing a lot more integration. With time it should surpass the Chene Vert, imo. It’s really built for age.

Agreed, I have them buried! I am rethinking the drinking window on the Chene Vert as well, thinking it needs more time. Salil popped one last night and swooned. Wish he would post a darn note.

I’m with you. I’ve had great joguet and joguet that tasted like someone had intentionally added too much of that old-Brett-flavor. Problem is that if you have to dump the infected bottles to get at the clean ones, the implied price of a clean bottle of joguet is very high indeed…

The first wine I bought by the case was the 1990 Dioterie. One bottle left, and I intend to drink it this Christmas. Will report back.

And a bottle from that case we had around 2003/2004 is what showed me how great Chinon can be with age. Thanks for that Brent!!

That would have been 2007, Russ. Right before we moved. Hope all is well with you, and great to see your post. Best to you and the gang.