TN: 2001 Maume Mazis Chambertin

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2006? My gut feeling is that it would be very young, but I need a GC Burg or two for dinner on Friday. This and the Rossignol Trapet 2007 Chambertin are near the top of the list. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Doug, FWIW, the 2006 Maume Gevrey-Chambertin En Pallud, from a vineyard which is kitty-corner from Mazis-Chambertin, is delicious right now. I agree that Maume’s Mazis has a savage character, but it is not a brooding, concentrated, dense wine; rather, it is more in a gourmand, generous and savory style. I say, go for it.

I keep waiting for the 1990 Maume Mazis to be wonderful. Still waiting.

My memory is a little weak on the specifics at this point, but…a post on Parker’s board…was closer to the story.

06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Re: TN: 1983 Maume Charmes Chambertin

Originally posted by bill nanson
Stuart will be pleased :astonished:)
aren’t you, bill?

I’m happy for Dick.

Bernaud Maume told me that though he felt his '83s really turned out well (and from my experience with a few of them, they did), he couldn’t really take credit for them. Apparently, he was hiking in the Vosges (in Alsace) at the time the wines needed making…and couldn’t get back in time. So, he instructed Mrs. Maume how to make them, over the phone. Since she was present at a small 8 people, gathering in Philadelphia (in the early '90s), she was beaming. I think it is a true story , though…So much for the requirements of winemaking, I guess.

I never quite understood exactly how he took the risk of being away…or whether he got lost or something in the mountains.

Maybe that’s why the Charmes wasn’t “hard”. Of course, their minute holdings were always the most complete of their wines, IMO…though the Mazy was better known.
Stuart

Still doesn’t make sense that he would disappear on the eve of a harvest that was plainly going to be difficult.

Maume 2005 Mazis and Gevrey en Pallud are terrific. They never shut down hard like most of 2005.

Agree with Alan. Sauvage is the herbal suggestion of underbrush or lawn bushes after a shower that is in the nose of the wines of Gevrey that usually makes them the easiest commune to identify in blind tasting. Very pronounced in Mazis.

I think “sauvage” is an adjective describing the fruit character. Mazis, to me, epitomizes that type of fruit, no matter in whose hands.

Rustic is a description of the winemaking. It is not precise, but is not a compliment , as it is often synonymous with rudimentary.

IMO, as much as I liked Maume wines in the '80s and '90s, especially the Charmes-Chambertin, they were both. I suppose Dominique Laurent made his Mazis from Maume less “rustic” by using lots of new oak to round out the tannins. But, the Maumes didn’t. I’ve heard cost was a factor and there were lots of Maume children to feed. Plus the estate, inherited from Bernard’s uncle, was not a large one, holding-wise.

Nice people, too. (One son , Christophe, lived and worked near my home in the early '90s…and was not in the wine biz.)

Because of this thread, I tried a 2006 Maume Mazis. Giving some pleasure now, more to come.

I had one about 10 years ago. That was my impression. Surprised it is still closed up!

Bought a case of the 1980 as an anniversary wine. Still have one left for next March…hoping for the best!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

on a related note the 2001 mazis by henri boillot for the hospices de beaune is really in the zone. i have had it twice in the past year. definitely has a sauvage character.

Love, love, love Maume. One of these days I’ll have to splurge on some older bottles if pricing makes sense. A modest '09 Bourgogne rouge last year was sublime.

The vines of their Bourgogne wine is from the Vigne blanche lieu dit in Gevrey, from particularly lime rich white soils (hence its name).
In the new Maume-Tawse era (that will be called Domaine Tawse moving forward), the quality continues to impress me mightily. Vigorous biodynamic farming has increased the vibrancy of the wines in each successive vintage (first was 2012), and the '15s are knockouts, period. From what I can tell, I may be one of the only people in the world offering the wines.
Here is my impression of the 2014 Bourgogne Vigne blanche:
“Roughly 200 cases from the lieu dit Vigne Blanche. This one had me ringing the bell fast. It is rare that I on the spot request 100+ bottles of a wine, but the loveliness and substance of this wine struck an instinctive nerve. If you want a complete expression of Gevrey Chambertin in its sappy deep red fruited intensity with a lightness of touch and appetizing mineral streak, this is a candidate for house red Burgundy extraordinaire. This cuvée has always had a certain loyalist cheapskate following; now in Mark’s hands after a few years, all that I can say is BRAVO and GET SOME. This joins the ranks of exceptional single village Bourgogne rouge wines that I covet so highly, and will remain there for a long time, I am sure…”
And the note on the '15: "
“Some of you may recall me flipping out last year over this one, and now that I have tasted the ‘14 in bottle, I can just (break my arm to) pat myself on the back. A downright smokin’ little wine that is as good of a “Gevrey exhibit A” as one could ever hope to propose. This year’s rendition is once again flat out terrific in its complex and complete composition, with great Gevrey typical dark red fruits, spice, light smoked meat charcter, and mineral backend. For what it is worth, the label now includes the name of the single lieu-dit for this wine, Vigne Blanche. 8 barrels made in '15, ie 200 12 bottle cases. Get what you can, trust me.”

As to the old regime and resultant style, I only know of the “reputation” via hearsay. I hear of very chemical heavy farming, on and off issues of brett, and inconsistent but compelling brilliance and longevity.

we had one 90 Mazis last week, unfortunately corked

Bummer. Hate when that happens.

Just had some of the '05 recently. The tannins are not quite resolved and “fine” yet but more than drinkable with a nice cool spiciness. Still very much primary, looking forward to see how it develops.