Thoughts on Phone Calls

This is often called “blowing smoke”

Unless I’ve asked you to call me or give me the first opportunity to purchase if something hits the markets, no calls. If I know that you are holding something for me pending my response, it would be wrong of me not to reply to an email. Not responding to 3 email messages is a response.

Let’s discuss pricing. If your going to call me, unless it’s ultra rare, your pricing better beat everyone. Most people have access to the internet and will be price shopping as you talk. Especially current releases. Back vintage might be different if you just bought a collection and know Provence.

The only time we call is at the customer’s request.

Some ask us to email them with certain wines and we do. If we don’t get a response within a week, we send another email “in case they didn’t the first one and before we put the wine on the website next week.”

On very rare occasions, the customer has called and asked if we ever got the wine and/or why we didn’t let them know. 99% of those, our email went to their spam folder or was blocked by their company’s mail system.

When people ask us to email them, we warn them about spam/blocking and ask them to email Carrie with the wines they want so she can just “reply” to avoid the filters, and still tell them to check their spam folder. It also weeds out some who aren’t truly interested, just talking.

And lastly: How many telemarketer/robocalls does your business get wanting to redo your website or change your credit card processing; phone service; paper supplies; shipping supplies; shipper; offer you a business loan or accessories from Nigeria? If you are less than 3 per day, you are lucky. BUT, it should also tell you how most people perceive YOUR call.

Good point - I get 40 or so wine offer emails a day (among probably 100 emails a day on that personal account) and most of those 100 emails get batch deleted without opening after just reading the subject line. If it is a follow up that someone specifically requested, may be best to make that very clear in the subject line.

Should have also added that I don’t like receiving cold calls and have never received many - because most of those are really a waste of time. As mentioned above, if it is something special and rare, sure and much appreciated but for some reason, I have never received a call like that…