Thoughts on Current Release Irish Whiskey

Several of us put a dent in a bottle of Green Spot on Saturday. My opinion is that it was less tangy than a good bottle of Redbreast, and overall not as good. Still a very nice whiskey, and it may well be more enjoyable. As stated above, my last bottle of RB was really good so I’m evaluating from that standpoint. Still and enjoyable whiskey and I’m glad I tried it.

I gave the Knappogue a try, for the first time, the other night. I was not a fan… overly sweet yet harsh to me, basically just your average generic whisky. I tried it straight; I’m sure it would do just fine in a cocktail.

I started a similar thread over on CT a couple of weeks back, and, based on the feedback there, purchased:

Cask Strength Connemara
Green Spot
Yellow Spot

The Cask Strength Connemara has an aggressively peated profile; it definitely benefits from a few drops of water. It reminds me less of peated Scotch and more of the peated whiskeys I’ve had from Lost Spirits (Northern California distillery). Distinctly whiskey. Distinctly peated. Distinctly not Scotch. Very good and I can see it having an on-going niche role in my whiskey holdings.

The Green Spot had bright citrus and menthol notes. Very clean finish. Tasty, but I doubt it will be a repeat purchase.

Yellow Spot: pure nectar. 12 years old, matured in American Bourbon casks, Spanish Sherry butts and Spanish Malaga casks. Peach, vanilla and almond. Very smooth and sweet, but not cloying. This is almost like an Irish whiskey answer to Sauternes. It is very good. I will drink this, and I will buy more.