"There is so much good wine out there today"

Unless you happen to live in Syria (Somalia, Sudan, Greece, Iraq, etc., etc., etc…). [wink.gif]

Allow me to introduce you to the concept of Veblen goods…

Jay Miller - you beat me to it!

Where’s Earnest and why is it such a great place to drink?

Dude, you forgot the link.

Always link to Wikipedia. Always. neener

Which is why there’s no such thing as simple economics. The size of that high-end segment took a hit, for sure. But that doesn’t mean all those producers felt it evenly. There’s a difference between gold standard and coattail rider. Also consider, while the economy took a bit hit 8 years ago, a lot of people at the high end felt little pain. Plus, healthy high-end producers have a good profit margin. They can simply cut production volume to maintain scarcity. Rumor was last downturn some of those producers simply didn’t release their surplus wine. Better to take a hit on production cost than a flood the market and devalue the brand you built up.

So, don’t hold your breath expecting release prices of specific well-regarded wines to drop. You might find some of those wines for less on the secondary market. More broadly, there is plenty of very good wine at whatever price you want to pay. Some of those niches have grown, and producers who’ve found them and deliver are being rewarded.

Great points all Arv. Amazing/awesome indeed.

Then you buy Jo Landron/Domaine de la Louvetrie :wink:

SMFH…

I guess maybe if the designers got the opacity just right, then the lab rats would never bother wondering what existed beyond the bubble.

Because with sufficiently obfuscatory opacity, the rats would never be consciously aware that the bubble exists.

But then you have to wonder what happened to the intuition & the curiosity of the rats - how that was suppressed. Maybe with pharmaceuticals?

It’s certainly a fascinating exercise in mass hypnosis.

In 1983, most of the above was not true, but I could buy 1982 Cos d’Estournal for $130 a case, 1982 Leoville las Cases and Ducru Beaucaillou for $150 a case, first growth 1982s for $30 something, 1980 DRC Grands Echezeaux for $35 a bottle, 1/2 bottles of 1980 d’Yquem for $25, etc. Even if we limit your last comment to times for rich people to buy wine (and despite the fact that dishwashers were much louder then), I don’t see it.