The Food Safety Thread

This guy right?

Poppy got sloppy!

We don’t use bleach in the kitchen. We just put our cutting boards in the dishwasher, unless they are wood - when we wash them by hand.

Same here, which is why raw meat never sees and of our wooden cutting boards.

[cheers.gif]

yup,
I put all the cutting boards in the dishwasher (which contains high heat and chlorine bleach) I never use a cutting board that touched raw meat without it going through the dishwasher. We use the NSF boards almost exclusively and have multiple sizes available from small ones we use to slice strawberries etc. to very large for high volume food prep or breaking down big fish/meat.

Course when it comes to breaking down chickens, I usually just do that right on the butcher paper and discard the whole mess when done. If you’re doing it right, the only actual time my knife comes close to touching a hard surface is when making the initial cut on the keel bone. Cubing etc. does happen on the cutting board. I do all the veggie prep first then the chicken, then the board goes in the dishwasher and pull out another board for last minute stuff.

For counter cleanup a combo of Windex and Chlorox clean up spray to disinfect and fight stains.

My 18"x24" board won’t fit in the dish machine.
It being just the two of us, we don’t run the machine very often and we primarily hand wash.

Leftovers:

When does it cease being food and become trash?

We purchased 7+ pounds of hanger steaks last Friday. I marinated them overnight is just coarse sea salt and fresh thyme. Saturday night I cooked them over hardwood charcoal with just a touch of mesquite smoke. I bought such a large quantity because I planned to use it for lunch for us both during the week.

They were cooked pretty much rare-medium rare. Uneaten portions were refrigerated promptly. We finished the last of it yesterday, eight days from when it was purchased.

I am very familiar with the smell of meat starting to turn. At no point over the week did that ever occur, but to recount this to someone else, eight days does seem like a long time to continue to eat the steaks (did I mention that there was no further cooking, I sliced the meat and served it over salad greens all week.).

If I’m the one doing all the food handling, and I’m confident that there are no flagrant time/temp abuses, I have no problem keeping and consuming meat proteins such as poultry or beef a week. This is in total violation of what I was taught in any food handler’s safety course, yet I have never suffered ill effects or funky tasting food.

Pity about your salmonella.

Okay, now that I’ve tweaked you about your ridiculous and juvenile obsession with one of my posts, I impose an arbitrary limit of 6 days on my leftovers. I’m POSITIVE I could go longer but I simply don’t want to tempt fate. You’re obviously fine with what you’re doing and I wouldn’t argue with it. After all, the USDA thinks 140-degree beef is “rare”, so I think they’re dipshits.

I have heard food safety “experts” never to keep anything like that over 4 days. If I did that (as a single person who loves to cook), I’d be throwing away a helluva lot of food. I throw it away when it starts smelling bad.

What about all of the people who survived leftovers before there was refrigeration?

Past a week I won’t even look at animal protein leftovers, and I start doubting myself at 5 days…

Since I’m interested in food history, that’s really an interesting question. Not only leftovers but the ingredients had to survive until people got around to cooking them.

I think there was an awful lot of salting going on, salting, pickling, spicing, whatever you call it that sausages do. Saluming?

One nice thing about some Indian dishes is that you know they aren’t going to spoil as leftovers because of all the spices.

I bought a Venetian cookbook that said due to Venice’s geographical situation and political situation – the city was besieged numerous times, and the people had to get by with whatever they could store for long periods. So many of the old Venetian dishes start with salted duck, salt cod, other “confit.” I had some really nice pasta e fagiole there that was beautifully flavored with salt cod.

I bought “wild king salmon” or some such thing at the Napa Whole Foods last week. Paid well for it, cooked it over a hot grill the same day I purchased it, sat down to eat and…that moldy taste that you all know and hate. I hate supermarket fish. Won’t buy it again. I can’t get that taste out of my thoughts. I buy the salmon in season from the guy who shows up at the Calistoga and St. Helena farmer’s markets, and it’s always gorgeous. That stuff? End of story. Nothing turns me off more than spoiled food. Particularly when just purchased. Bleh.

Whole Paycheck strikes again. I don’t buy ANYTHING there.

Bummer about the salmon regardless of where it came from, Merrill.

flirtysmile

If we followed federal guidelines, we’d overcook everything.

Same here…

JD

Nice thing about Sam’s Club. Double your money back if you are dissatisfied with any fresh food purchase. I have taken peaches, broccoli, grapes, meat etc. back without any question. Whole paycheck charges triple Sam’s prices, so I would have no compunction at all marching back in to Whole Foods with a receipt and the refrigerated leftovers.

I live 40 minutes from Whole Foods. Sam’s Club? Don’t have a clue, but it’s got to be 40 minutes going the other way, over the mountain pass to Santa Rosa.

Yes, I know I complained and invited suggestion, but I’ll take my own and just not shop there again. Their meat is pedestrian at best, and you can smell fish when you get near the fish counter. My stomach is turning as I type. Sunshine Foods in St. Helena and Calmart in Calistoga are far better options, without the drive, the crowd, the lack of personal attention. Just how I have chosen to live, and the “big-city” shopping experience at WF confirmed my choice to “buy local.”

Merrill
We had that same salmon friday night on the grill(lemon juice, sliced lemons, and capers) – although not the best salmon I have ever tasted I didnt find any problem with it. How did you prepare it??

Hmm. I do occasionally cut raw meats on my board and I clean using the Landreth Method.

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/rue-la-la-boos/49321/12

I disinfect with cheap vodka, but this is only for utensils and prep surfaces. All raw meat is cut on plastic cutting boards that get a warm soapy bath following their use.