The Dry Aging Beef thread

Is it not rather that the fat cap is too thin (or not even there) to prevent the meat from drying? I’m really no expert, but when I see beef aging at a butcher shop, there is always a good layer of fat around, so that’s why I’m asking…

Alain

Hi Alain,

In general, this particular cut was the most “thin” of them all, and also had a small/thin fat cap. No doubt this influenced the overall loss/yield. I am also convinced that the fan didn’t help matters. Cheers!

Here is another photo of me breaking down a NYS, with some ribeye in the foreground. You can clearly see the desiccated portions vs the good stuff.

That looks great

+1, nice pic!

Alain

Final Update from my first pass at dry aged beef. The below is from the ~50 day mark. I would say the flavor of these were less “beefy” and more “funky” than the 42 day. Personally, I liked the 42 the best.

Heres the NYS loin @ 50 days:

Nice shot after “facing”. The costco Prime NYS is good QPR…

Final shot of the steaks cut, pre-trim:

A few lessons learned:

-All you need is a clean refrigerator, a pan of salt, and a fan with a timer to dry age beef successfully. And some patience.

-The more fat cap/covering on the sub-primal, the better yield you will get. With that being said, considering the original cost of the Costco Prime NYS was <$8/LB, and roughly a ~40% loss to trimming, we are still looking at <$15/LB for some VERY tasty beef. I will be on the lookout for deals on bone in ribeye “107” cut for my next round. Also - if NYS goes on sale again, I will buy only the biggest cuts with the most fat caps = success.

I would be happy to edit my first post with some more data on the “how-to” side. Does anyone (hey Landreth!) have the “cut numbers” for bone-in NYS loins? What other cuts should we be looking for? After eating Flannery Filet last week, I might tackle one of those soon, but am worried out loss/total burdened cost.

Thanks!

Screw it, this is MUCH easier:

175?

I have access to a full walk in cooler. Is it as easy as throwing a whole ribeye on a rack in that case ?

I apparently had my mini-fridge set too cold and found the meat frozen when I checked it after a couple of weeks. After adjusting the temp, I just gave it a week longer than planned, and it seemed to turn out fine.

These mini-fridges and wine coolers can have temp sensors and control circuits that are less than optimal for aging and curing. Over a period of 40-60 days, a few degrees of variation can have a significant effect on the flavor of the final product. The cooler I use for aging drifted over a 10 degree range until I bypassed the built-in controls with a PID controller. This can be very easy if your cooler has electric analog controls or a bit more challenging for one with digital controls - but well worth the effort and minimal cost. PM me if I can help.

Round 2 complete, and the results are pretty good. I went to my local butcher, and procured 2 Bone-in ribeye’s - starting at 16.1 and 16.9 LBs. I calculated a 15-16% loss after 43 days due to moisture evaporation, with a final pre-trimmed weight of 13.6 and 14.4 LBs respectively. From there, I cut these into large steaks (can you say reverse sear?!), going between the rib bones. After trimming the desiccated meat off, I ended up with steaks that were anywhere between 16oz - 30oz bone-in. The final total steak weight was 11LBs and 11.75LBs, so roughly a 30-32% loss.

The texture was very tender, and the taste was getting towards funky, but still very beefy. These bone-in Ribeyes could have easily gone another 10 days if you like them really funky.