The CEREAL thread

Love this stuff:

+1 for Udi’s. Tried dozens of brands and this is the best.
retro: crispy critters (original only).

The Quaker Oats Natural Granola also is in the rotation in my cereal cabinet.

Bruce

I like those smaller bite-size frosted mini wheats these days.

Btw, I let my kids choose any cereal that they want regardless of sugar. I am either a bad Dad or the coolest Dad, depending upon whom you ask. Anyhow, it came from my own experience. My family had very little money when I was growing up and that was my one luxury. My mother would just ask us what we wanted, and she delivered. The interesting thing was that after years of Captain Crunch, Boo Berry, Franken Berry, Count Chocula, Lucky Charms and even Cookie Crisp, at about grade six my desire for sugar cereals petered out and I ate mostly Special K and healthier cereals for the next several years. My sweet tooth had unwittingly been tamed.

Now, even my three year old has started to say she doesn’t want Lucky Charms – and god forbid, she even leaves marshmallows in the bowl every now and then. When I was in college, I was amazed to see all these sugar-cereal-‘starved’ kids eat Lucky Charms and Coco Puffs for dinner.

k.

I love special K. The cereal, not the horse tranquilizer.

Raisin Bran and Golden Grahams

Ah, yes. When I’m in “guilty pleasure” mode I think of “Quaker Natch” along with the Cracklin’ Oat Bran.

But lots of calories and sugar in both of those!

yeah I forgot how much I like muesli. cold or warm.

What, no Crispix? Cheerios, and Raisin Nut Bran if I feel like something spoofulated :wink:

TERRIBLE for you, and it has got to be one of the worst QPR’s in the food world. You’d be better off nutrition and $$ wise eating Flannery steaks.

Lactose intolerant as a kid so cereal had to go well with water and lots of added sugar until 1% milk hit the stores. Still got the sugar problem:

Raisin Bran
Cheerios with bananas cut up in it
Sugar Frosted Mini Wheats with fresh ground cinnamon
Cinnamon and Sugar Frosted Mini Wheats with more fresh ground cinnamon on it.
Cinnabun Cereal

Back up: Frosted Flakes.

Post’s Great Grains with Pecans. Nuff said.

I love how unabashedly white trash you are, Randy! You freakin’ OWN IT! [cheers.gif]

You don’t know how bad. Cinnabuns were no longer carried at the local grocery stores and we ordered a case of it direct from Kelloggs. Expensive but gotta have it. flirtysmile

We are a big cereal family:

My personal favorites right now:
Trader Joe’s Ginger Granola
Heritage Flakes
Bob’s Mill Muesli (with yoghurt usually)
Nature’s Path Heritage O’s

Dessert: Peanut Butter Panda Puffs from Envirokids

Vintage: Quisp (not Quake!)

A man has needs.

This is nonsense, both nutritionally and monetarily. Low sugar, high fiber grains have a place in any diet. Particularly when they do not contain wheat, even though I am not wheat averse. $3 for a weeks worth of breakfast is a bad deal?

Another guy who is on the heritage flakes! Don’t know why I like them so much, I think it’s the kamut. And I have no idea what that is and it likely comprises less than 2% but they sure are tasty.

Bob’s muesli is outstanding.

My wife was diagnosed with celiac disease a year ago so right now it’s pretty much just the gluten free Chex varieties & gluten free rice crispies.

Personally, I love Golden Grahms, frosted Mini-Wheats & Cracklin Oat Bran (though I’ve never been a fan of the amount of saturated fat it has), I’ve got a great bread recipe using raisin bran, and there’s nothing like a bowl of Lucky Charms when your sweet tooth kicks in. But even though I could personally eat them I try to keep them out of the house for my better half

Kamut (and Spelt) are both called “heritage” grains because they are older, non-hybridized forms of wheat that are closer to what we used to eat in our diet. As a bread baker, I use a lot of Spelt flour because the flavor is great, but it’s also a lot easier to digest than the typical wheat used for bread flour–and higher in protein as well. Kamut is also good for folks who are “gluten sensitive” I believe (but not if you are actually gluten intolerant). Kamut has been trademarked, so all seeds come from a single source (in Nebraska) at this point. I use it, but less of it, 'cause I like me some bio-diversity. [Edit: Just looked it up, Kamut is a trademarked version of the traditional Khorasan wheat, originally grown in Afghanistan for millenia.]

The other ancient wheat that is getting popular now is Einkorn which is also known as Emmer or Farro.