The Bourbon Thread

My roommate from Iraq is a huge Bourbon nut and found a few in some crusty liquor store in Texas I think.

The high end is fine - but I personally am looking for sub $60 recommendations for now. But all recommendations are a-ok.

At that price, single barrel Jack is tough to beat.

Really? Ok - good to know. I think my next couple are JD SB, Booker’s, and Blanton’s. I know I can get them all, and I need to try them.

Used to drink it all day long for $39.99… headbang

you’re dating yourself, brent. [tease.gif]

Based on your comment, plus this review - I picked up the Blanton’s. Looking forward to trying it.

http://www.boysofbourbon.com/category/reviews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The name is Blanton’s but it should be called “The Best,” that is self explanatory. This perfectly selected single barrel bourbon has the perfect amount of wood, the perfect kick, with a perfect combination of bite and hint of vanilla at the finish. That might be alot of perfects, but that is just this bourbon. On top of brown goodness inside, this is bourbon is bottled, bagged and labeled by hand in a style fit for a king or kingpin. At 93 proof, I prefer mine with a little ice and a splash of water, but its never too much to keep in your flask. If you like bourbon, this pony will make a lover out of you. Go baby go Blanton’s.”

lOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING WHAT YOU THINK

Brian,

That was barely 10 years ago!

I have heard that Preiss Imports is trying to buy up the rest of the Hirsch 16 that they can find so they can rebottle it in a fancy crystal decanter and sell it for even more money.

according to their website, it looks like they did. http://www.hirschbourbon.com/

I wish I would have been shopping where you were 10 years ago. 10 years ago, in Ann Arbor, MI, A.H. 16 was about $65, iirc.

Pappy Van Winkle is a great one.
If you don’t want to spend that much, the Buffalo Trace is really great. Woodford Reserve is an excellent value.

Guys - if you like Pappy 20 year, check out Black Maple Hill.

Black Maple Hill, Small Batch Bourbon (750ml) (1 bottle limit) - SKU 1026880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The nose isn’t as complex/deep as the Pappy and the finish doesn’t last an hour like the 20 yr, but for a little less than half the price of the 20 year, it’s a hell of a bourbon.

Get a lot of the same toffee/caramel/sweetness, just not the depth.

Man, this Blanton’s is smooth. Tons of smoky caramel flavor, no need to cut it despite 93 proof - just an ice cube to get it barely under room temp - and it is rockin!

PS - pretty fancy packaging

Thanks Peter.

As an aside, I find Blanton’s almost over the top sweet for some reason.
This sweetness doesn’t seem as intense in the Pappy or even in the single Barrel Jack.
Maybe just me.
It is a very fine Bourbon for sure.

I perceive a very slight sweetness in the Blanton’s - but not that much and I find it to have good balance with the other components. I like it.

Speaking of sweetness…did you see the one bourbon on the site Peter C was mentioning? Aged in d’Yquem Sauternes barrels - now THAT probably has some sweetness to it! Here it is…

2000 Springbank 9 Year Old Chateau d'Yquem Cask, Murray McDavid, Single Malt Whisky (750ml) - SKU 1054821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That’s a Scotch that Dave Tong mentioned a few weeks ago on the Scotch thread. I picked one up today, but haven’t tasted it yet.

-Al

Look at this event - I am signing up for this ASAP. Beer, Bourbon, and Barbecue!

http://www.beerandbourbon.com/north-carolina/drink-menu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, who knew? I guess I should stop using it for pan sauces.

Damn Bob! That’s good stuff. Not a bourbon drinker?

Not regularly and obviously not current on pricing. My other bottle is Basil Hayden 8. I brought the bottle of Hirsch a number of years ago and brought it as a joke to a “Hirsch” tasting (the vineyard).