Thanksgiving sides: Please post your finest!

[thumbs-up.gif]

Actually, I thought your idea was quite inventive. Keep us apprised of your further sessions with this dish.

Who hasn’t heard of Keller? His creations do take time and patience. Next time you
need to thoroughly scrub your kitchen you will have to make the gnocchi!

Made the Red Cabbage gratin I posted above. Still had lots of shredded cabbage left over.
Improvised a slaw dressed in a beer mustard/cider vinegar vinaigrette with just a touch of ripe red Habanero. Went very well with smoked pork loin.

Made chipotle mashed sweet potatoes with ancho chile pecan crumb topping. Great dish and went really well with the zin we were drinking.

Did you put a little honey/maple syrup in the taters? I do, and it cuts the chipotle a bit, making the dish a little less bitter.

I did put a very little (tablespoon or so) of maple syrup in the taters. The pecans had about a tablespoon of sugar, tablespoon of maple syrup and a tablespoon of ap flour and were put on the top as a crumb topping. We’re watching the simple carbs so I really stripped them out of the dish.

Bump!!

We’ve been buying produce from a woman who for the last two years has been farming organically and selling her goods at our farmer’s market. As the season was winding down, she offered onions and potatoes in bulk, attractively packaged in 10# burlap bags.

I picked up a couple of the bags of her sweet onions and I’m going to make a sweet onion gratin in the same style as a potato gratin.

I’ll think I’ll slice the onions into thin rounds and roast them first to caramelize them a bit, and then layer them into a gratin dish with bechamel and grated cheese and herbs. I’ll post pics if anyone is interested.

We made this one last year and it was fantastic; high-end take on green bean casserole:

Sautéed Green Beans With Mushrooms and Caramelized Cipollini Onions

For cranberry sauce, we use the recipe on the side of the cranberry bag, which basically has you boil the cranberries in water and sugar, but we sub some of the water with a mix of ruby port and orange liqueur, and add lemon zest at the end.

I’m interested! Have a Le Crueset gratin dish gathering dust.

I add fresh orange juice and grated orange zest to ours. A hit of orange liqueur sounds good.

The green beans with onions looks great.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Lori, Larry.

Do all this and add a pinch of cinnamon.

Made ours tonight using OJ and cinnamon. Dee-lish!

Ooh, cinnamon. Will do, Chris!

Same to you and Sal!

Love the cinnamon idea. We’ll give that a go for sure!

I do the orange zest along with the orange segments, cinnamon, and a little bit of fresh ginger.

I’m going to give this recipe a whirl. BTW, I’ve found the Chefsteps site to be pretty darn fantastic.

I’ll also be making my molasses/brown sugar brined bone-in pork roast.
This has become at tradition at my in-laws. It has also inspired me to name my next rock band “Cooking Pork for Jews”

“Hi.” “We’re Cooking Pork for Jews, and thanks for coming out to the gig tonight.”

This is a favorite for us and it is true that people who don’t like Brussels sprouts will love this. Especially if you add some pancetta flirtysmile

Jason

Bumping this thread, since we will be hosting Linda’s family for Thanksgiving this year. Any new/interesting ideas are most welcome.

Since there are a fair number of kids, was thinking of doing the Modernist Cuisine mac & cheese recipe as an additional starch to stuffing. Would that be overkill?

Bumping this thread for the first recipe, summer corn season is here and Robert’s recipe is always a big hit