Thanksgiving 2015 - what's wines will you be pouring?

German riesling. Everyone likes it and I have some 2012 Willi Schaefers burning a hole on my pocket…

I’m surprised more folks don’t nominate Gewurtztraminer as a white option. It really rocks with all the savory Thanksgiving fare, and unless you’ve spent a ton of money on something Alsatian, you can knock it back with food without whimpering.

Thanksgiving is like a month away. I don’t even know what I’ll be pouring tonight, let alone then.

I have to plan wines in advance. If I wait, I get “wine selection anxiety” where I’m scrambling to figure out what to serve, where it’s located (picture me with CT open on my iPad digging around storage), etc. It’s nice to have the time to think about it ahead of time, at least for me.

I like this philosophy. Then there will probably be bourbon and brandy after rather than dessert wine, since most family members are totally disinterested in sweet wines.

Do you make oyster dressing too? That stuff is pretty bad.

I think cooking the bird in pieces at different times is the best way to do it. Never really cared about having the whole thing on the table.

Great, see you on the 22nd!

No, I like a lighter more herb and vegetable focused stuffing.

Agreed. Oyster dressing was a family tradition that I am happy ended the generation before me.

It will be bubbles and pinot noir for us, although I haven’t yet put any thought into which bottles to open. Count me in the camp whose guests couldn’t care less about wine.

2008 Rhys bear wallow. One year too soon but it’s what I have so…
2011 domaine weinbach cuvée theo Riesling or Gewürztraminer
Maybe a 2006 realm bard

Always beer too

Holy awesome. Please, drift away. I am uncontrollably salivating on my commuter train as I type this.

I live for thanksgiving. Turkey isn’t my “go to” both as a function of personal taste and the cost of turkey in Switzerland (don’t ask…it’s incomprehensible).

I did pigeon last year.

As for wine, nothing lined up yet. I systematically move a dozen bottles if bubbly from storage every year around this time in preparation. I also like some Beaujolais Nouveau around. Burgundy and / or Piemotese as the pinnacle.

Berry, would you be willing to share some recipes? I would really appreciate the one you’ve highlighted above. Any other ideas are more than welcomed.

Lots and lots of farmer fizz then some aged Aglianico and a Valpo Ripasso or two.

We do traditional turkey too, but Juan also makes this absolutely delicious turkey recipe from his mother called Pavo en Pepitoria. It is turkey cut up and sautéed with this savory almond sauce. Then we make all the traditional things and include other things from his childhood like croquettas, jamon serrano, olives… No one here is unhappy or hungry.

Battle of the '10 Monte Rosso zins.

Bedrock and Carlisle. This should be fun.

Will try sticking to my yearly mix of Riesling, Beaujolais, and Blaufränkisch.

+1

Gewurtz is my go-to turkeyday choice.

Good choice. These are both very approachable wines right now, and bright, floral, red berry and citrus notes which should work well with Thanksgiving.

Bubbly to begin with. No one but my wife and I really drink wine so something sweetish/fruity for others and probably pinot/Burg for my wife and I. Or, depending on how the day goes with the relatives, maybe both.

JD

you’ll be a week too early