Test your knowledge of Burgundy : true or false questions

Roman, Gerhard,

Aubert told me he started the “vendanges en deux temps,” or first and second pickings, in 1999.
The grapes from the second picking are declassified.
This explains why the cuvée Duvault-Blochet was created in 1999.

Regarding the premier crus, he did tell me that they were sold off in bulk. But I don’t know if this holds true every year.

Well, next time, one of you can ask him.

Khiem

Peter,

#10 is False.

There is a tiny bit of Pinot Gris, called Pinot Beurot in Burgundy, in the DRC’s vineyards.

Burgundy legislation allows you to have a small % of non-Pinot Noir grapes.

Khiem

Not to mention the Montrachet and Batard-Montrachet vineyards, which are precisely 0% Pinot Noir…

Todd,

Right. I meant there is a small % of Pinot Beurot planted in the Pinot Noir parcels.

I had no idea and so just guessed. I’m sorry you started providing answers tho because i was curious how others would do. I can’t claim to have bested alan now!

Thanks for the info… !

I thought 99 was just declassified grand crus, other vintages also including premier crus. At least I got the answer right!

in the book is explicit 1999 mentioned,maybe that is wrong.
But. 21065 bottles VR only with a second pick from the grand cru?

not sure that’s the correct portrayal,but I’m the one.

Yep. #9 is an interesting question because it is probably mostly true but they do own several areas of 1er cru vosne that they include instead of selling off?
That would make it False if you are considering 100% declassified Grand Crus to be the absolute True answer.

Thanks…Gerhard.

I have a hard time of answering question 10 as I did not remember DRC owns part of Montrachet and B-M; and also did not know if Vosne allows other pinot grapes in their AOC.

And let’s not forget that DRC also produces a white Hautes Côtes de Nuits!

Hi Roman.
You have made a small typo, regarding the 99 DRC VR production number. Ten less, it is.
Nitpicking with love [wink.gif] , -and the opportunity for a photo, in this great thread.
99 DRC VR -Very nice at release, licorice.jpg
Total V-R produced in:
1999 : 21,055
2002 : 13,028
2004 : 4,409
2006 : 10,160
2008 : 7,899
2009 : 5,498
-Almost as rare as the R-C.

Kind regards, Søren.

I´ve had that once … frightfully expensive, and nothing really special, never worth the price …
[head-bang.gif]

Too much lips-stick ? hitsfan