steak in the oven?

Presalting brings a lot of moisture to the surface of the steak… do you dab the moisture off with a paper towel?

Yup. Wrap tightly in paper towels right before the oven.

[/quote]

For me, I go one minute per ounce of meat in a 225 deg F oven. Rack is important as is a two hour pre salting.[/quote]

this seems like it would be pretty rare, that means 1lb is in the oven for 16min? I know at 200 it would take a whole lot longer (but I’ve never timed it).

My preferred method would always be to cook over wood, but I think I prefer the oven/stove to a gas grill.

-paul

I prefer wood as well.

yeah i definitely prefer the texture of the steak off a charcoal grill, but man just dropping it in the oven is so ez and I don’t have to start a fire on the grill.

This is very interesting, and I will try it on a porterhouse tonight.

Would the same apply to a roast? Color me old-fashioned, but searing a roast on all sides before baking has been ingrained upon me for decades.

for a long time people though the earth was flat [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

It’s cuboidal.

Yes, I’ve been doing the high temp sear at the end for roasts for a long time now

Did a reverse sear in the oven last night on a USDA Prime 34 ounce ribeye. Took me 45 minutes at 225 deg F to get up to 115 internal. Five minute rest with a five minute rotating sear on a hot pan. Gave it a 2+ hour pre-salting with about a tablespoon and a half of my infused salt.

Nice. I’m gonna give this a go next time.

i find that if you pull at 110F you don’t need to rest at all, go right into hot pan and finish with lots of butter, herbs, garlic, etc.

i rest on a wire rack after and apply just a little torch.

i think for ribeyes and probably larger strip steaks, this is the best and most fool-proof way to cook a steak at home. it just takes a bit longer (for a large steak, almost an hour in the oven). for ribeyes with a huge cap - my favorite - i’ll remove the cap after the oven and sear that separately as if it’s a separate steak. benefit is that you can monitor that piece and get a lot more surface crust on the total steak. I then serve the cap separately from the eye - makes for a cool beef tasting.

also, if i’m doing a good flannery steak, i’ll salt the day before. makes a huge difference.

Little bit of a change of topic but didn’t think this warranted a whole new thread

Sous-viding a steak produces fantastic results. Sous-vide a steak at 125-130 degrees for ~2-4 hours (depending on thickness). Then sear in a screaming hot pan. It does take longer than the reverse sear method described in many of the responses, but it winds up being a set-and-forget approach to achieving a perfect medium-rare steak through the entire thickness of the steak

Great thread.

Tex, nice pics! Is that a McIntosh in the back?

one more question:

when u sear with butter/herb/butter… what do you do about the splatter of oil?
like… EVERYWHERE?

Tried several options, but for steaks of around an inch I just fire them on the grill, 5-10 min rest.

Splatter guard.

Negative. That is twilight through one if our windows.

I run Anthem amplification for my system.

I did a boneless leg of lamb on the grill last night, and I did the reverse sear. I think the reverse sear is a better method of cooking a large piece of animal protein for the following reason. If you do a high-heat sear on the exterior first, then the interior stays raw while the exterior gets cooked to a medium. Next, when you put it in the over (or in indirect heat), the heat has to penetrate the already cooked exterior to reach and achieve the interior’s desired final temperature. As a result, you’re likely to get a larger area adjacent to the exterior cooked beyond a desired medium-rare state.

By contrast, if you do a lower-temp. roast or indirect cooking first, you can slowly bring the entire mass to a desired range just below medium rare. Then, when you quickly sear over high heat at the end, you won’t move the interior temperature too much, and a smaller portion of the exterior will get cooked beyond medium rare.

Bruce

I agree about the importance of the wire rack, but equally important is that no part of the steak is below the rim of whatever pan (if any) you are using below the rack. I have played using my smoker instead of the oven and I like the results.

I prefer to use Ghee for the sear step. I also like to baste the meat with the pan juices.