Spicy Green Beans

When we were visiting our friends at their country place, we bought a jar of “Dilly Beans.” They are really delicious and I hadn’t thought of using them in a Bloody Mary. Good to have a recipe for these things, they are so tasty.

What I discovered – we have sometimes been making ham and cheese “wraps” for lunch. You put 3 or 4 dilly beans in the middle, and you get a wonderful refreshing “CRUNCH” when you are eating the wrap. It’s like the French who put gherkins into their fancy sandwiches (and the Vietnamese, who copied them with the Banh Mi).

doing batch # — I dunno — maybe 8 or 9 today. Thanks again, Paul!

P.S.: I’ve taken to quartering some jalapenos and throwing them in. They lend some spice to the beans, and end up being delicious pickled treats themselves!

Brian…

Thanks mon!!

I love the DOG shot!!

Paully

Bloody season is upon us once again! flirtysmile

One of my son’s first vegetables were the spicy green beans out of my bloody mary’s at Palace Cafe in New Orleans. While you’re pickling stuff for you bloody mary, get you some okra and do that too.

Sounds Good Milton!!

Anyone tried something other than dill (one of my least favorite herbs)?

Take this with a grain of salt as I’ve never pickled anything let alone this, but I’d guess parsley would work well (it’s the generic herb for a good reason). I’d also guess that you could just omit the dill and they’d be tasty. If you wanted something distinctly herbal, maybe marjoram? Something tells me sorrel would be great, but I’m treading on extremely thin ice there, so use at your own risk

I’ve had success with rosemary — just don’t use any lignified stems.

and, although I haven’t tried it, I imagine bay leaves would work.

Thanks collin and Brian! I keep looking at all those gorgeous green beans at the Farmers Market and wouldn’t mind an option other than roasting.