Soaking meat in water before cooking

Alton Brown had a great cartoon response to these warnings about dangerous chicken washing:

I’m not dead yet.

A ‘thin film’ sounds adequately sticky at holding spices to me.

Slightly off-topic, but “Thin Film of Slime” sounds like a good name for a punk band!

FWIW, I’ve never had an issue with spices/seasoning adhering to a steak.

Bruce

I go with the Food Lion approach of dunking all of my poultry in bleach. It helps to extend the shelf life.

Brined pork chops for the first time. Delicious. I had a thick one (about 1.75") and some thin ones. All rib chops. I grilled then and the problem was the meat was fully cooked for most of the chop and quite rare next to the bone. Any suggestions?

Lower temperature and a little longer cook time should help.

This. Also make sure that the chop(s) has time outside of the refrigerator to come to room temp.

With almost any cut of meat I cook these days, I will take it out of the fridge, rub kosher or sea salt on both sides, put it on a baking rack over/inside a tray, and allow an hour or two for the meat to approach room temp. I pat dry before cooking or adding a final spice rub.

It’s more slippery than sticky.

All things considered, removing the slime is more likely superstition for me than anything that dramatically makes a difference in net result. I was just curious what others did/thought.

My meat has no slime.

Sometimes I used words more clumsy than I’d like. Mostly because I post things in a nanosecond. But, say you take your juicy Flannery steak out of its plastic wrap. You hold it in your hands. You throw it up and down, much like you wouldn’t do to a newborn. You would likely notice the meat to be a little slick, or slippery. You would worry about letting the meat slip off your hands, so you don’t throw it that high. Then, you take that juicy nugget of raw meat and you rinse it with water. You let that water drip off. That meat suddenly isn’t so slippery. You are willing to throw it higher, really like you wouldn’t do to a newborn.

That stuff, the stuff that when rinsed off makes you not mind throwing the steak up real high before catching it, that is what I mean by slime.

Sure, you could lick it off with your tongue, or simply embed it deeper into the meat by using a salt rub. But me, I prefer to rinse it off with water.

All this talk of slime reminded me of one of my favorite jokes. What is the definition of relative humidity?
The sweat on you dick after f*cking your sisterAn even better joke is, “How do you make your wife scream twice”…

Chicken always gets rinsed inside and out with cold running water from the kitchen sink in my house. Then a pat dry inside and out with paper towels, and then a liberal seasoning with Kosher salt and pepper. Then it goes on a rack over a sheet pan and into the fridge (the spare one for just these types of use) for at least 12 hours if not overnight.

Then I bleach wash the sink and the freaking counters. It’s raw chicken for God’s sake!!!

[head-bang.gif]