So...What Does Coach K Drink????

But the world desperately needs to know what I think. newhere

Look, I don’t care what Shshshshshsheffshee drinks. Neither does Howard, who hates everything DOOK and who called him Ratface. Go bust his balls for a while.

I think K is a remarkable coach with an even more impressive program @ Duke. Very few celebrities I’d rather pull corks with.

Agree 100% with all his accomplishments. I just don’t care in general what celebrities drink whether it’s wine or hemlock. I make an exception for you because you’re so tall and I dig your Stetson. [berserker.gif]

I’d rather pull a cork with Harbaugh. [wink.gif]

He’d be fun to drink with. We could probably clear out a bar!

Jim Clary has it right unless his tastes have changed–Silver Oak, Caymus Special Selection, Duckhorn and Robert Mondavi from the original winery.
I’m a Duke fan as two of my nephews are graduates (one was captain of the wrestling team) and I listed Duke as one of my choices when I took the National Merit Scholarship Exam eons ago. Got to give Duke credit for their recent comebacks against UNC and NC State!

Wasn’t there a Wine Spectator article a few years back where he said that one of his favorites from his cellar was Silver Oak?

I’d be careful with harbaugh, just don’t piss him off or you would find a cork in a most uncomfortable place!

As a Michigan alum, Coach K has done more to make my life miserable in the winter than Jim Tressle did to make it miserable in the Fall, but I can’t seem to hate the guy. I appreciate the fact that he seems to run a relatively clean program and likes to have his players finish an education at a quality academic institution. I’m sure he’s got plenty of flaws (other than me, who doesn’t), but I would gladly bring a nice bottle of Cali Cab to share with him over dinner. My guess is that the conversation would not be dull and boring.

hijack… “Relatively” is critical… Maggette should have been declared ineligible for the 1999 season after the fact, stripping DOOK of its wins and final four banner for the year. Plus Boozer’s papa got a nice no show gig at Glaxo when Carlos signed on; pop’s boss was a big dookie booster. Pops quit when Carlos went pro. Chris Duhon’s whole family got some curious bennies, like cars and houses, when he signed on. Is every program pristine? No. Is DOOK? Absolutely not.

And they graduate about 83% of their players. Unc… 88%.

Would I have a glass with K? Sure, if he could contain the f bombs.

Would you like lessons? [berserker.gif]

He’s a HUGE Jacky Truchot fan.

I prefer Jacky Treehorn.

[cheers.gif] good one.

But they do know how to rally from 20 points down!

Nice try, Mike, but that was just one cohort, 2003, that I am sure you chose randomly. I can cherry-pick as well: 2004 - Duke 100 UNC 89; 2002 - Duke 92 UNC 75; 2001 - Duke 89 UNC 86. And they do pretty well across the athletic spectrum according to the NCAA’s latest GSR: Duke’s 97 percent Graduation Success Rate is tops in the ACC, equaled by Boston College (97) and followed by Wake Forest (94), Virginia Tech (91), Miami (89), North Carolina (88), Virginia (87), Clemson (82), Maryland (82), Florida State (79), Georgia Tech (77) and N.C. State (74). Even Miami beats UNC!

I’m always amazed by the Duke hate and will never understand where it comes from. Laetner’s piss? baby seal blood? It is the epitome of the American story: hard work, discipline, and a tribute to K’s abilities to have built the program from nothing at a small school when no one thought much of him or Duke. Hard to believe those are things to hate. There is no perfection in this life, so there are faults, but who among us doesn’t have them (except for Jay, of course!).

I’m a Duke grad, obviously a fan, always love to see them win, and especially BEAT CAROLINA. But I respect the quality of the other programs and coaches and I have no problem recognizing that Roy Williams is also a great coach with a great program.

Not saying it’s not a great program. Or that a 83% grad rate isn’t great. It is. But you really need to read the book I mentioned above. Might be tough medicine, but it’s a lot of tough truth, too. It will help you “understand where it comes from.”

Ps, my 83% figure was from 2010. Just using the most recent data available to me.

As a U-Texas grad and an outsider looking in, it always seems that UNC disrespects itself with the whole “DOOK” “DOOKIES” “RAT FACE” garbage. I also have a hard time believing that a Duke grad will learn a ton of tough “truths” from a book titled “Duke Sucks.” I’m going to have to say that title sounds just a bit biased. It would be like an Aggie suggesting I read a book written by an Aggie about UT titled “SAW EM OFF THEM LONGHORN DICKSUCKERS!” I’m sure I’ll learn tons of “truths” from a book written to lambaste and demean.

I’m all about rivalries and supporting your team, and was a Texas Cowboy at UT. What I’ve never understood is how acting disrespectful to an excellent program and a hall of fame coach sheds any positive light on your program. And I’m sure it’s a two way street. It just doesn’t seem like it to us here in Texas. But, we’re a little slow down south, as you can tell by watching any Rick Barnes coached team…

While every other program in the nation wishes they had a rivalry like Dook and UNC’s, they can’t. It’s difficult to understand, even if you have a coach who thought he could hack it in the ACC by trying to fight a 75 year old HOF coach. The book, while curiously titled, investigates from a national perspective why people hate Dook. It does an excellent job of dispelling the whole “people hate us because we win” mentality. My favorite bit is the statistical analysis of Dook’s almost-total lack of true road games over the last decade. That and the impressive collection of total flops in the NBA. And speaking of flops…

Stephen, I think the hatred comes from him being a whiny, foul-mouthed, win-at-any-cost bully, like his mentor, Bobby Knight. Between the two of them, no question that that style wins more college basketball games than any other (Boeheim of Syracuse and Self of Kansas are cuspal the same style). There are many measures of success with a bunch of 18-20-year-olds, but when was the last time you saw ESPN pan the crowd at Cameron and point out a handful of former players returning home? Ever? Two showed up for his record-breaking win? And do you seriously think that Knight would have travelled to be there for the moment if ESPN was not paying him to cover the game? (In the interest of full disclosure, I hold degrees from Virginia Tech and Florida State (among others), and I am a Tar Heel season ticket holder!)