Single greatest American wine ever made?

sine qua non the hussy

1776!

With all due respect to Buzz (and in this instance, I do truly mean that), the inanity and conceit of the question is making me chuckle. No one alive (or dead) has ever had .0001% of all wines made in America.

Based on the bottle I was lucky enough to partake in about 5 years ago, I would say yes.

But I’m sure happy to be sitting on a bottle of '91 Ridge MB based on the various responses here.

1991 Ridge MB
2007 Saxum James Berry
2002 SQN JFTLOI
2002 Shafer HSS

Wonder if anyone will list a non-CA wine?

Neal, I can only comment on the wines I have tried.

Real 'merican!

Somebody already did.

Agreed. Different thread entirely

1968 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard is better (for my palate) than the 1974. I would also throw 1985 Groth Reserve in the mix as a very close second.

Back in the day, the 1968 and 1970 BV PR Cabernets were wonderful, classic examples of “old school” CA Cabernet. Most of those bottles, though, are now past their prime. Some of them are simply
shot at this point. Good bottles of the 1974 Heitz Martha’s and 1991 Ridge MB, by contrast, are still drinking very, very nicely.

Although I haven’t had it in a long time, the 1994 Harlan Estate was one of my top CA Cabs of all time. If I may switch varietals, something like a 1994 William Selyem Hirsch Pinot would be right up there as well.

Bruce

07 thorevilos
11 tinbox
97 harlan
12 old sparky

No idea. I can only base my decision on what I have tasted, which is limited to a handful of vintages (as far as American wines are concerned).

Today, at this moment, my mind goes to the Bedrock 2013 “Ode to Lucien” (Evangelho Mourvedre, Gibson Grenache and Syrah).

Not necessarily the greatest that you’ve tasted…the greatest by reputation. Widely regarded as the greatest American wine ever made? 69 Chappellet, 73 Montelena Chard, 41 Inglenook, 74/68/69 Martha’s, 94/97 Harlan, 97 Screagle…

Can only speak for wines I’ve tried… For me:

1987 Corison
2012 Andremily
2009 Ridge Monte Bello (awesome when consumed, will be stellar in 10 yrs!)

Greatest by reputation… 1997 Screaming Eagle would be the most notorious bottle I could ever bring out. Even non-wine people know Screagle

Quote Buzz Buzzini
“Not necessarily the greatest that you’ve tasted…the greatest by reputation. Widely regarded as the greatest American wine ever made? 69 Chappellet, 73 Montelena Chard, 41 Inglenook, 74/68/69 Martha’s, 94/97 Harlan, 97 Screagle…”

Buzz; I have to agree with Neal and Loren. It is pretty useless to go by reputation. It really should be bottles you have tasted personally. In addition, we all know that there is tremendous bottle variation from bottle to bottle. All that being said, these are mine that I have actually tasted.

1971 Ridge “Eisele”
1975 Phelps “Eisele”
1970 Freemark Abbey “Bosche”
1970 and 1974 Heitz “Martha’s”
1970 BV “Private Reserve”
1978 Diamond Creek “Lake”

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Heitz MV 1974 works for me. Also have had the 1978, 1984 & 1985, and the 1985 is why I’m still on this wine journey 25 years later. It was the epiphany wine. The 1974 was fantastic when I tasted it and it deserves all the accolades it receives.

What about a totally different direction? 17th Nail In My Cranium

Oooooooo, yummy!

I don’t go back as far as some here. That curtails my list. Besides the Hobbs Beckstoffer To-Kalon already mentioned by Ed, I’ll add:

1987 Chateau Montelena Estate
2002 Lokoya Diamond Mountain

2002 Shafer Hillside Select is an honorable mention.

Neal, please lighten up. Your blood pressure will lower if you have some fun. Really, it’s okay to be silly every now & again.

The bolded wines would be my top three that I’ve tasted. Happy to have more of each in the cellar. That said, I have a bottle of '71 Ridge Eisele for which I have high hopes.

Both tasted at a verticle held at the winery about 20 some years ago -

1958 BV Cabernet Sauvignon “Georges de Latour”
1951 BV Cabernet Sauvignon “Georges de Latour”